1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

"Endurance" Saddle?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by BossMare16, Feb 15, 2017.

1. BossMare16

BossMare16 Senior Member

I'm one of those people who has 100 questions boiling in my brain every second of the day, yet I hate making a new thread and asking, seeing my name on the board more than once stresses me for some reason. But I'm going to suck it up and try to convince myself that I'm not annoying everyone.

I like riding long distances (15 miles usually, want to go on a 20 mile this summer) it's fun to explore and ride out on the roads to see friends or new places. However the english saddle I've had and used for a while isn't turned out to not be a good fit for Tango or myself, and my western is just kinda heavy and bulky to use every day. I started looking at relatively cheap endurance saddles and I want something english-y? but I'm mostly seeing Aussie saddles which seem to put you in a chair seat which is already a problem for me.
    I've been using my western saddle, but I want something lighter and more of an aussie/english style saddle good for long distances. If anyone here has a $600 or less saddle suggestion I'd really appreciate it.

2. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

BossMare16 likes this.
  3. BossMare16

BossMare16 Senior Member

Not exactly what I was looking for but I'm intrigued by the Sport Trail saddle, now I just have to get myself a job and spend all my paychecks on horses and saving for college! (y)
    Home :: Western Saddles :: Trail & Pleasure Saddles :: Chisholm Trail Saddle by Abetta <-- the saddle I like

4. firegurl979

firegurl979 Senior Member

Arabian saddle company, specialized, orthoflex, thorowgood, etc. tons of English based endurance saddles out there :)

5. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Friend of mine has an Aussie they might be convinced to sell, and a 17 1/2" Husar they Have mentioned cleaning up (after winter in barn) and selling this spring.

6. BossMare16

BossMare16 Senior Member

If only I could find used ones, looked at brand new and those prices! :sick: I know you get what you pay for but yikes. Saddle buying won't be for a couple of months anyway because of cash flow problems (found a place I want to apply to though!) and I need time to look and wait if a used one pops up near me.

7. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Haunt Craigslist? With luck something pops up close enough to go see it (safely) or at a store you dont have to worry much @ getting burned by, might even ship..

BossMare16 likes this.
  8. firegurl979

You can find Thorowgoods for much less than the leather saddles.

BossMare16 likes this.
  9. firegurl979

Also, the facebook endurance tack groups often have deals.

BossMare16 likes this.
  10. Riosdad

Riosdad Full Member

I second the Abetta Endurance. I can afford any saddle out there but chose the Abetta because it is light, very comfortable and not bothered by the weather
    I do wear them out regularly in about 4000 miles but again it is my saddle of choice
    I both 3 at one time because I liked them so much
    I have had $4000 plus saddles and still liked the Abetta better
    Our canadian price was $555