Electricians/Lighting- Exploding Light

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by MysticRealm, Apr 28, 2018.

  1. Alsosusieq2

    Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2016
    Messages:
    12,341
    Likes Received:
    8,897
    Bummer, but at least you're safe now. ;)
     
  2. EventerNic6187

    EventerNic6187 Senior Member

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2011
    Messages:
    3,207
    Likes Received:
    4,970
    Can you cut and strip the wires on the fixture and reinstall it? Do you have pictures of the chandelier now that it’s not mounted anymore (wiring in particular)? I’m more inclined to think that the overheating problem came from the house wiring, not the fixture. Did the handyman check the circuit for faults? I had an issue with a light sparking and tripping the breaker every time I reset it. Turns out there were 2 ground wires just barely touching in a 2-gang switch box that went to the light, but it was enough to cause a fault and sparks.
     
    hamerface likes this.
  3. MysticRealm

    MysticRealm Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2005
    Messages:
    7,206
    Likes Received:
    4,344
    I don't think he checked the circuit for faults. I did mention to him that I wasn't sure if it was the light causing the issue or if it was coming from the house wiring but I wasn't around as he was working as I was working.
    [​IMG]
     
  4. EventerNic6187

    EventerNic6187 Senior Member

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2011
    Messages:
    3,207
    Likes Received:
    4,970
    If you know someone who is good with wiring, they should be able to fix that. If you haven’t really done any wiring yourself before it would be a bit complicated to try yourself. It looks like you maybe had a few black wires with broken sheathing and they may have been touching. That would cause some major problems. Whether it was the light to begin with or if it happened as a result of faulty house wiring is the question though.
     

Share This Page