Electricians/Lighting- Exploding Light

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by MysticRealm, Apr 28, 2018.

1. MysticRealm

MysticRealm Senior Member

Earlier this evening, my chandelier suddenly erupted into huge sparks inside the 'bowl' and a big plume of smoke that rose up and hit the ceiling. One of the bulbs was pushed out of it's metal 'twist' part.
    Any idea why this happened? If I can get the metal part out (with the breaker turned off), can I still use my pretty chandelier or is it trash now?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

My other half is an electrician:

I showed him and he said it looks like the lamp blew up, and that the fixture itself is fine. He said you'll need to get a tool to get the lamp end out of the fixture, (needle nose pliers, maybe 2 pairs to grab the skin of the lamp) he said to make sure the power is off to the light or at least the switch.

He said that if you can get the skin/end out cleanly the contactors should be fine and you just need to put a new bulb in.

secuono and manesntails like this.
  3. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

An old wives remedy is to cut a raw potato to fit into the socket and twist. Has to be pushed very firmly into it. I did it once in my life and it did work.

secuono likes this.
  4. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

I'd sell the house!

5. MysticRealm

Thanks guys. I managed to remove the bulb with some hemostats. I didn't have a bulb to replace it with but so far the light isn't catching on fire so hopefully it's ok

6. MysticRealm

So this morning I flicked on my light and sparks everywhere again! And this time it was definitely NOT a bulb, it was coming from the inner workings of the light :(
    Gonna get an electrician in. Not sure if it's the light that's malfunctioning or if it's a surge or something in my electricity. I imagine with all the sparking and burning that I probably will have to replace the light anyways (which makes me sad, it's such a pretty light and only maybe 3 years old). It still works when I accidentally turn it on (need to put some tape over that switch so I don't keep flicking it on) but I imagine it's damaged inside and could cause more problems.

7. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

@MysticRealm do you want me to ask my SO again before you call an electrician?

They can be pricey usually it's a 2-3 hour minimum call out charge. :( At about $70-$90/hr

8. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

Beats having the house catch fire!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. MysticRealm

Thanks. I know a guy who does electrical and stuff on the side (he did all my dog grooming electrical and plumbing set up in my house) so he's usually not too expensive and I have a couple other things that I would like to have done too. I'd just been lazy getting him out because it wasn't something I NEEDED to get done.

hamerface likes this.
  10. MysticRealm

Had a handyman out today and... ya... the light was apparently getting so hot that the wire covers had melted leaving the wires exposed and touching metal and... bad things happen. So my pretty pretty light is ruined and an ugly light that was here when I bought the house is back up.

DelP and Alsosusieq2 like this.