Elastic on Cinches/Girths

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by barrel_racer64, Feb 10, 2019.

1. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

I know a lot of English girths have elastic on one or both ends, I'm just wondering what the benefit is and how well they work? More specifically, I'm curious about the western cinches that have the double elastic. I'm fascinated by the concept. Anyone?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

Not a ton of advice, but after only owning and using elastic girths, I have been now using a Nunn Finer Piaffe (no elastic, equalizing/humane ends) the last several months. I love it so much. I feel more confident in how snug I keep it, it keeps things nice and secure, and my mare loves it. There's nothing to get overstretched and wear out either.

3. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

Have you put an English saddle on a horse? Not asking to be mean, just asking.

IME you need the elastic to even start to get the horse girthed up. The billets are short, unlike the ones on a western saddle. A western saddle has a long off billet and a long latigo.

It's like you need the stretch to even start to get the girth on.

4. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Been riding english all my life. Learned at barns that did use non-elastic girths. Once I started leasing, elastic ends had become all the rage. While they make tightening the girth easier, there is a risk of overtightening if you're not careful. I once bruised my lease horse's ribs (at least I think I did) because I felt I needed to tighten the girth "just one more hole" and then nearly couldn't get it loose after our ride...:eek2:

DocsLglyBlonde likes this.
  5. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

The over stretching was something I was wondering about.

Yes, I've put an English saddle on a horse quite a few times, although I have never "gone English" so to speak. The girth I used didn't have elastic, and it was most certainly a pain to do up. Although I helped tighten an elastic girth up for a friend a few times and it wasn't all that much better to get up there.

:eek2:That's definitely something to worry about! Especially with a western cinch, I can see how it would be easy to over tighten, although reading the various descriptions they only talk about how the elastic helps "prevent" over tightening:rolleyes: Certainly something to think about.