EBT to be SHUT OFF in November......no more food stamps

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jmjarabians, Oct 17, 2013.

1. jmjarabians

jmjarabians Senior Member+

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/3079167/posts?page=1

http://www.truthandaction.org/obama-ends-food-stamp-programs-nov-american-people-pawns/

Anyone heard about this? I can't find anything online saying it's fake. Can't honestly say I am surprised and this will save our country TONS of money. There are going to be a lot of very ****** off people.

Even though I don't like Obama, this isn't his fault as the article says it is. There are a lot of other contributing factors in this and they have been thinking about doing away with food stamps for quite awhile now, even before the shutdown.

2. Rant

Rant Senior Member+

Makes me feel bad for the people who need it and use it and feed their children with it though, if this is actually true.

2 people like this.
  3. jmjarabians

Yes. I agree. It would be nicer to see that if they do shut if off when they decide to reopen it they need to revamp the program from the ground up. IMO there is SO much fraud in it right now I fear that the people that REALLY need it aren't getting it.

1 person likes this.
  4. maggiesmom

maggiesmom Senior Member

No worries. There will be a special sign-up period to enroll everyone who's not on the program already.:cool:

No way this will be "shut off" under the current admin.

1 person likes this.
  5. Pixel01

Pixel01 Senior Member

I heard something about this too. I'm curious of its really true though? I get upset when people abuse it, but I know many really need it.

After my uncle passed away in september(he took care of my grandma) My grandmother applied for assistance and was given 29$ a month. She is handicap and has to have someone with her all the time. She barely gets enough income to pay any bills, let alone get a few groceries. My mom and aunt often buy her groceries and help out with other finances. It has put a strain on them.

6. jmjarabians

I wanted to add that I am not against the program, I am against the way the program has become. I would really like to see it redone, and really, how ironic that they used a still of someone buying SODA for the article!? That needs to change as well. People on the program should only be allowed to buy healthy foods, and foods that will sustain them. Not soda, candy, and junk.

4 people like this.
  7. Ms_Pigeon

Ms_Pigeon Senior Member+

I don't think it's entirely accurate. Most of what I saw online was speculation based on what might happen to SNAP if the government shutdown didn't end.

8. froglander

froglander Senior Member+

I asked hubby about this as he follows the news and politics much more so than I do. He said:

9. jmjarabians

Well I do know that it still wrapped up in the Farm Bill, which still hasn't passed. The USDA has been saying for awhile that they have wanted to cut back on these programs. It's been all over the 'Capital Press' news paper the last couple months.

10. E90Style

E90Style Senior Member+

Speaking of EBT. There was a woman in front of me yesterday. iPhone, MK purse, Channel sunglasses....using EBT for food. Paying for a lot of beer with cash.

1 person likes this.