Eating the bark on trees.

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by coppers_girl, Jan 28, 2007.

1. coppers_girl

coppers_girl Senior Member+

ok well i know i haven't been on in like forever.BUt i have a problem with my 3yr old and 4 yr old eating the tree bark in the their pasture. im not sure what kind the tree it is just yet. i was wonder why they might being doing this there are 6 horses in the pasture 2 are mine and then 4 our the property owners. only my 2 are doing this though. also i would like to know if it will hurt them to eat it??? thanks in advance to any tips/advice.

2. Xiphias

Xiphias Senior Member+

When I first moved here to my little place, I had 9 trees around the property in different places, I fenced the whole place with a strand of electric fence, my one horse decided he liked bark, and set to stripping all the bark from all the trees! My trees died! the horse was fine....some horses will eat bark on trees, I have never seen one get sick from it....Cathy

3. trail_rider

trail_rider Senior Member

I have one big tree in the middle of my pasture and all three of my boys were eatting the bark. I just put up a one wire fence around the tree and that cured the problem.......they couldnt get to it, so they couldnt eat it!!

4. SpiritSaddle

SpiritSaddle Senior Member

Not really sure if there is an actual reason why they'd be eating it, i've heard of many horses doing it before. The training stable two houses down from me has ALLLLL of their trees (this pasture is...maybe 10 acres, with half of it being woods) fenced off.

5. Racket

Racket Senior Member+

Probably boredom? Maybe they're bored and looking for something to chew on, thats all I can really think of.
    They're not sucking in air while they do it are they? Maybe some form of cribbing?
    Just listing some thoughts. :blushing:

6. magicsdoublepla

magicsdoublepla Senior Member+

its probably a boredom thing, like racket said. some horses when they're bored will chew on the wood on fences adn stuff, so its like the same. only they're chewing the tree.
    hopefully they don't get sick if they're swallowing the bark. you should check what kind of trees they are and see if they're bad for horses or not.

7. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Full Member

My girls in their pen had lots of little trees.. yah I can see they will be all dead.. Infact I have now lots of little nubs..LOL.. I asked this question too and some people have said that they are missing something in their diet.. I really don't think so though..I think they just like the taste??

8. freedomrider

freedomrider Full Member

9. cassidy

cassidy Senior Member+

i noticed this when bluebell was at our last yard her an the two youngsters had well stripped the bottom of the tree

it didnt do any of them any harm though

10. freedom32

freedom32 Senior Member+

They like the sweet of the sap--this time of year some start to crave something 'fresh'. Make sure that the tree isn't poisonous, but it shouldn't hurt them. It may well kill the tree though!