1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Ear shape?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by blakhawq, Apr 16, 2010.

1. blakhawq

blakhawq Senior Member

My daughter's gelding has a different shape to his ears than all of our other horses. They are more curved, almost hooked, with a little point at the tips, curving in towards each other. The other horses don't have such an obvious curve on the inner side of the ear that he does. Its big enough for my finger to easily sit in the curve (he didn't like it when I did that, guess it tickled, lol) You can see it in all three of the pictures. Both ears are equal, but for some reason, I only managed to get shots of this right ear, lol.

He is a grade, we do not know what breed he is, people suggest that he has POA or Arabian. He is 10 years old, 13H, fleabit grey, and such an easy keeper, he's almost really a hard keeper, pushing chunky most of the time. The vet says it is his "pony blood". He is our "Air Fern".

So my question is: Does this ear shape go with a specific breed(s) of horse or are they just "his" ears? If they are unique to a breed, what breed?

I loaded a few pics of him into an album:
    http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com/horse-forums/members/blakhawq-albums-frosty.html

Thanks!

(If you want to give us more opinions on his breeding, feel free. :) )

2. ss farm

ss farm Senior Member+

From the pics you have, I would say that his is definately arabian. The "curled-in" ear tips are very characteristic of the breed. He is a very handsome man!

blakhawq likes this.
  3. wildflower

wildflower Senior Member

My TB mare has ears like that...just the way the good lord made her! :) I agree, he looks to have arab blood floating around in there...there is a breed that originates in India that has ears that are VERY turned in at the tips...the name of the breed is the Kathiawari. Take a look at these guys if you want to see turned in ears! hahaha:)
    (I'd post a pic but I don't know how):(

4. wildflower

wildflower Senior Member

There's also another called the Marwari...very extreme ears as well!

5. blakhawq

blakhawq Senior Member

Thanks! We think so too, especially my daughter. She gets very mad when I yell "Come on Fat Butt! Get over here!" and he LISTENS! lol. Its OK though, Im an equal opportunity person, I call mine "Fat Head". And I can yell "Heyyyyyy Fat Head!" and ALL 5 of them will come running from the far upper pasture, hehehe.

Im not a breed guru, but alot of people say the shape of his head & face mark him as arabian, but his body shape (besides ROUND, lol) and size say POA.

I have an awesome Horse Encyclopedia and Book of Horses of the World, so I have see the Kathiawari & Marwari ears. He isnt THAT bad, lol. I can image the comments and questions we get for THAT! (We get A LOT of the comments/questions about a friends bald faced gelding with one blue eye being blind *sigh* No, he isnt, but they think he is due to the blue eye, common (annoying) myth)

6. ss farm

ss farm Senior Member+

I am not understanding them calling him a POA. Does he have appy markings? (fleabites dont count-lol)
    Are they calling him that just due to the fact that he is a well balanced "short" horse?

7. MyBelgianAzzy

MyBelgianAzzy Senior Member+

My mare's are even more pronounced "devil ears" than that! She's an AWS.

8. WilsonF

WilsonF Senior Member

A POA can be solid. They just hold different papers than a colored POA and cannot be shown.

That being said I dont think your boy is POA. ALOT of people think just because a horse is within height it makes them a POA. I have even seen ad's for little paint ponies that people call POA's and it makes me laugh. A paint marked pony can not be a POA.

The ears are very characteristic of an Arab. He's probably and Arab cross of some sort :)

blakhawq likes this.
  9. horse345

horse345 Senior Member+

One of my pet peeves is those paint ponies on POA ads! :p

10. WilsonF

WilsonF Senior Member

I KNOW! Sometimes i want to just email them and tell them their pony cant possibly be a POA. LOL