Ear pinning?

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by ARioBadBoy45, Apr 21, 2017.

1. ARioBadBoy45

ARioBadBoy45 Full Member

Okay, So we finally figured out my mare has a clear, clean health! Scoped and was clean.
    I did all "Ulcer pressure points" Just to be sure after vet left and non fazed her!
    It's been a little over a month since she has been ridden. She just got a acupressure. Acupuncture massage done. And let out a lot of tension.

She's no longer nearly as cinchy as she was. A little ear pin and she turns and looks at me, But before she would try and kick and bite.

Free lundging in the round pen perfectly now! No biting, Kicking or charging.

I decided yesterday I wanted to put her to the test and see how she did under saddle (Before we treated for ulcers and got massage) She would Buck every single time we went into a canter. ears straight back and sometimes would refuse to walk and just back up.

Yesterday when we rode, She was fine in a walk, When I asked her to trot she put her ears back at first but I ignored it and kept her going then she was fine, When I asked her to canter her ears went back and she bucked, I corrected her and she didnt buck again but her ears remained back, I asked her to trot and she was fine again, When I switched her directions ( Round pen) And ask her to trot she pinned her ears and would put her head low and shake it, Then would turn her head toward like leg like she was going to bite but didnt, When I asked her to canter her ears remained back but again no buck.

Is this due to her just having attitude and so use to before having it cause her pain (Before I knew something was wrong) That she thinks its going to every time and has to finally realize shes okay?

2. Nitro17

Nitro17 Senior Member

It might still be pain related but if not its just attitude. She just needs to get back into the swing of things and know she's expected to work.

ARioBadBoy45 likes this.
  3. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Could still be pain-related behaviour.
    Especially if it more pronounced on one hand than the other.
    Can you post a video of you riding the mare?

Friesiangirl and mooselady like this.
  4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

How old is this horse?

It's either pain, the horse isn't trained, or the horse is bad minded. You can't always fix the first issue, the second you'll need to send the horse to be broke properly and the last you can't fix at all.

5. Peanut Palomino

Peanut Palomino Senior Member

Sounds like your saddle doesn't fit.

LeenieBean likes this.
  6. Mirage

Mirage Senior Member

Have you looked at the bottom of your saddle and ran your hand all over the fleece?
    I work at a saddle shop. You would be surprised how many saddles, new and old, come in with nails sticking out from the fleece.

slc likes this.
  7. slc

slc Senior Member

They also develop lumps n bumps (western and any other kind of saddle)

8. ARioBadBoy45

ARioBadBoy45 Full Member

She is 6 and as broke as can be..
    She's my barrel horse, along with my 6 year old nieces pee-wee barrel horse.
    She never use to do this is why I ask. I have a chiro reschedule to come check her out again.

9. AmyK

AmyK Senior Member

If she never used to do it, I'd say something is wrong. Could she have a reproductive issue?

10. palogal

palogal Senior Member

She might still remember the pain. If she quit eventually she figured out that everything was ok. If your saddle fits and she's been cleared, just be patient. Once she associated riding with pain, it will take her some time to retrain her brain that it's ok.
    Also, she's a mare, some are just expressive like that. If you're sure about your tack, give her some time to adjust.

Breezah likes this.