Dystopian novels and moves, why do you think people like them?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by slc, May 16, 2017.

1. slc

slc Senior Member

I just read 'Fahrenheit 451'. It's considered a 'dystopian' movel - dystopian meaning about a future in which there are severe challenges or dangers to humankind.

But there are many newer dystopian novels -- and movies, even a whole genre of young adult fiction dystopian novels, like The Hunger Games. Do you like them? What do you think is the appeal of these books and movies?

2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I don't like them. I believe a lot of people like to wind themselves up on the gloom and doom aspects of the future. It's definitely not new. It's been probably almost fifty years since I read that, time for a revisit. Not exactly dystopian, but I loved A Brave New World. ;)

3. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Definition of dystopia
    1. Merriam webster1: an imaginary place where people lead dehumanized and often fearful lives
      adjective
      1. Google1.
        relating to or denoting an imagined place or state in which everything is unpleasant or bad, typically a totalitarian or environmentally degraded one.
        "the dystopian future of a society bereft of reason"
    I dont like dystopian themes. They seem to revolve around a powerful centralized person or group, who has squashed or taken hope and survival dignity from the masses, for their own gain. Its too "woe is us" imo, sometimes from social indifference, altho seeing character/s challenge the system and scenario is encouraging. Some or most are often brutally hurt or killed tho, by the system beneficiaries. I appreciate a good conflict but dystopian tends to be depressing, and I dont find 'depressing' entertaining.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I like them. But I couldn't tell you why...

5. TheSnowLeopard

TheSnowLeopard Senior Member

I like some of them. Most of them are aimed at teenagers (which is fine by me because I'm a teenager). They also tend to follow an overused pattern, which in some can get boring since you already know what will happen. Some are really good, though. If you are looking into a good dystopian series, Red Queen is definitely my favorite series.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I like a lot of them. They are interesting and mysterious and keep you on your toes.

7. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

I liked the Hunger Games and Divergent series a lot. But as a rule, no I don't seek out dystopian-themed books/movies. I'm much more into Historical Fiction.

Now the question of why... that's hard. I really don't know why. I guess on a basic level it's because I would rather imagine myself living during the Renaissance than the future. I don't dislike futuristic stuff but it's just not my first choice place to take my imagination.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. Peanut Palomino

Peanut Palomino Senior Member

Dystopian books are some of my favorites. Couldn't tell you why, but they always keep my interest.

I recently finished 1984 and am currently reading the Handmaid's Tale.
    I actually didn't much care for 1984. It was very slow and tedious. The last 75 pages or so were interesting, but the rest of the book was a bit of a chore to get through.
    The Handmaid's Tale is great so far, but I'm only somewhat past halfway.

9. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

Have you tried "Dies the Fire" by S.M.Stirling? Lots of horses and people learning how to do things the "old ways"
    "The Protectors War" And "A Meeting in Corvallis" are the other 2..
    Also "Island in the Sea of Time","Against the Tide of Years" and "On the Oceans of Eternity" same author..
    I just enjoy these -- and somehow these have changed the way I look at the world around me.

TheSnowLeopard likes this.
  10. clara17

clara17 Senior Member

I love them, maybe it's because of my sociology major but i find it really interesting