Dying brown leather black.. results?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by hannathefoxx, Apr 21, 2017.

1. hannathefoxx

hannathefoxx Full Member

So a while back I bit the bullet and purchased my dream Reins. The Nunn Finer soft grip rubber reins in the purple because they were discontinuing that color and it just so happened to be our eventing color and I had been drooling over them for a year. But my one problem is that since I've bought them we've switched back to a black jumping saddle, going as far as having it custom adjusted and fit to him so I'm not planning on getting rid of it any time soon(it's a Kieffer and I'm in love). So this poses my question, does dying leather black effect the quality/softness at all? Should I just keep them the way they are and miss match all my black tack with some purple reins?(ew in my opinion) and if I do dye them how is the best way to avoid getting the dye on the purple rubber part? Thanks in advance!!

2. SoutherngirlBR

SoutherngirlBR Full Member

Of course you can dye them darker I would suggest using Fiebings saddle oil since it will darken leather. Use that a few times over a course of a week to let them dry in between uses and your reins should be 90% darker by the end. I use it to darken light pieces of my saddle that the people before me who had the saddle didn't touch with any type of oil so it's very dry. To keep it from getting on the rubber just use some duct tape on the edge where the rubber and leather meet. I would not use leather dye since that's mainly for leather that hasn't been dyed yet. Stick with dark saddle oil and it will have the best result.(y)

3. txgray

txgray Senior Member

It's actually very easy to dye leather if you have the right stuff. I've re-dyed saddles, boots, and a girth before and they all came out great. You'll need deglazer to remove the top coat from the leather, then you'll need leather dye, then you'll need something to reseal it, either resolene or tan-kote. I'd use resolene for reins, personally. This should be very easy to do.

I did a step by step when I re-dyed my first saddle. DIY: Dyeing a saddle

Basic premise is the same, just actually much more simple for reins. I'd just cover the ends of the rubber with painter's tape and take some extra care in those areas. I have the same reins so I'm familiar with the leather - it should take the dye well once you deglaze it. Otherwise, should be a quick and easy project. Wear gloves. ;)

mooselady and hannathefoxx like this.
  4. aFlamingAngel

aFlamingAngel Senior Member

use TX Grey's method. Simple, but take your time. I just redyed my faded County saddle and it looks BRAND SPANKING NEW. So worth the time and effort! Make sure to seal the leather really well :)

edited to add: I use ammonia to deglaze, you can find it at the grocery or dollar store.

5. secuono

secuono Senior Member

I used the rust & vinegar method, worked great. There was a section on an old headstall that was reddish and treated w/something, that part darkened only, didn't turn black. But the old reins I had are now black.
    I believe I posted a thread about it somewhere, possibly on here.

6. unicornleather

unicornleather Full Member

7. Nu5ha

Nu5ha Senior Member

Ohhhh this is interesting I would really love to do my dressage saddle from brown to black