Dunskin(?) WBxTB Gelding

Discussion in 'Critique My Horse' started by MissCita, Apr 14, 2018.

1. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I'm hoping you actually get “his“ papers because I can see a switcheroo being attempted due to wanting to get rid of a horse with a known medical problem which causes behavioral issues, rather than for the reason of just a behavioral issue. The issues you stated are not hard to fix. But that's my red flags blowing in the winds of experience showing.

tlwidener, GotaDunQH and Circle C like this.
  2. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

^^^That's crossed my mind too....

He's the most QH-sy WBx I've ever seen.. cute tho!

3. MissCita

MissCita Senior Member

As far as where I got him, I’m a coach/trainer and another coach that I know contacted me about him. He was stabled at the president of our regional Horse Trials Assosciations place and belonged to one of her students. He’s been checked out all over and vet records were released in full to me, so anything that he has would be a result of the vet missing it and not them hiding it! Yesterday was day 3 of oral meds and he was already much nicer/quieter. He had his first bit of body work and not too many things going on (at least compared to my last two) so I’m extremely doubtful of any kind of PSSM going on. Also another good ride. I am however suspicious of ulcers. It’s the one thing the vet mentioned that they never treated and he’s quiet.. but to me he worries a bit and I’m seeing some little things that say ulcers. So I will probably treat him for them. Once he’s going a bit more I’ll take some video!

My last horse was sold to me with known seasonal headshaking (after the season of course) came up the next year severely, nothing worked and he had to be put down. The beautiful pinto gelding I had/have before ended up with idiopathic ishemia and is now retired... this one definitely isn’t that screwed up. Regardless of his breeding he’s a nice little ride and I should be able to get him fixed up enough to do my ‘A’ level of Pony Club finally, then find him a good home.

250girl and NaeNae like this.
  4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Was any genetic testing done?

Dakota328 likes this.
  5. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

And I have the Warmbloody QH .... :rofl: So, it's possible!! Wasn't there a member here who was breeding colorful TB's and WB's?

6. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I would run a bucket of KER Equisure thru him and see how he acts after that. I would also get a 5 panel done on him just to be safe. I know a horse trader that switches papers on horses quite regularly.

7. lhoward

lhoward Senior Member

Whatever he may be, he certainly is quite the eye candy, esp. fitted up.

Which is precisely why I would be quite suspicious that there isn't more going on then just ulcers and some spotty ground manners.

Surely there was more attempted then just a basic vet visit and some half hearted training. Some of those health related issues show up exactly like that. Quirky unpredictable behavior that isn't consistent but simply won't get "trained out" or fixed despite anything tried. I find it hard to believe that former owner didn't explore a bunch of options for such a gorgeous horse, the least being some trainers helping out , some vet work, etc. Just because they couldn't figure it out, doesn't mean they just didn't do it right.

Sometimes you have to dig deeper, health wise.

I'm not one to blame every quirky little thing on PSSM, but dang, some of that unpredictable quirkyness and the severe fear reactions with stiffness and sweating sure does sound like it. Would also explain how he was probably a lot worse when fitted up (which most likely meant a more performance horse based diet, etc) and exercised more frequently.

Hopefully I'm just wrong. But I'm in the camp of "if something sounds to good to be true, it usually is".

Dakota328, ginster and manesntails like this.
  8. MissCita

MissCita Senior Member

Ihoward, I think everyone is reading my reference to him being sweaty and tense really wrong. That was his reaction to being administered oral medication, not under saddle. It took 8 days with yummy tummy meds and he now happily accepts his oral medication daily. He is quite good to ride, very relaxed and not sweaty lol. I really enjoy him!

He has minor changes in his hocks and front feet, on top of his front feet being quite unbalanced (little bit of high low.) Hocks have been treated with corticosteroid and front feet were only treated with an Osphos injection. His little wheeling/leaving habit seems to be linked mostly to anxiety/fear (happened when he saw scary cows on the road or horses moving in and out where he can’t get to them under saddle) but I’m also thinking the feet are an issue. He also tries it on the ground when he wants to go back to his friends or doesn’t like something (like me cold hosing his foot.) Some days his feet have a bit of heat and a soft digital pulse, those are the days he’s been a bit “naughty”. My farrier started slowly making the changes towards balancing his feet and a couple of things happened - he was a bit sore seeming the day after with the more underrun foot having a bit of heat and a pulse. His behaviour was a lot more grumpy as well. Three days of cold hosing later, with B-Comfortable solution and he’s moving much better then when I got him. We rockered the toes and he’s starting to land heel toe rather then shuffle toe heel.

I’m moving him at the end of the month to a private facility and will likely have his coffin joints injected (it was previously recommended by the vet that saw him in the prior owners care) and continue to make the necessary corrections to his little feeties. On top of that he’s receiving things for his tummy (which also seem to keep him happier) and routine body work. I think he was a problem for a while with the previous owner and it was one of those things where you just get tired of/don’t know what to try anymore. They included all the diagnostics and vet work they had done with him.

foxtrot and Arem like this.
  9. MissCita

MissCita Senior Member

Also just because...

Attached Files:

GONE ROPING and Arem like this.
  10. MissCita

MissCita Senior Member

:p

Attached Files:

GONE ROPING and Arem like this.