Dunskin(?) WBxTB Gelding

Discussion in 'Critique My Horse' started by MissCita, Apr 14, 2018.

1. MissCita

MissCita Senior Member

Picked this little guy up for $1 the other day due to some behavioural issues. Has training in both the hunters and eventing but has been off for almost a year. Supposedly by Gatsby out of a coloured TB mare, he papers are currently being mailed to me. I think he’s a dunskin, can anyone confirm/disprove this? He was sold to me as a buckskin. Photos attached!

Attached Files:

Dona Worry likes this.
  2. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

He looks dunskin to me (light buckskin color, dorsal, wither marks, black points... the only thing missing is zebra marks on the legs which don't always show up). That means one of his parents had to have carried dun though, which would not be from a purebred TB or Gatsby. Perhaps his dam was an Appendix QH? He looks like he could definitely have QH in the mix. He's cute!

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  3. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Buckskin with countershading, probably.

If he is Dun or Dunskin, then mom was not a TB.

4. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

That's some pretty prominent dun markings , but agreed that there is something more happening with the parentage If that really is dun.

5. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

Looks like a stock horse cross. According to the pedigree you suggested he is supposed to be 3/4 TB, which this horse is most likely not, unless something heavier was twice crossed with TB to give the substance. The colour can come neither from TB nor warmblood ancestry.

manesntails likes this.
  6. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

He is certainly a handsome boy! What are his behaviour problems?

7. MissCita

MissCita Senior Member

Right, exactly what I’m thinking about his colour! I’m betting mom was either appendix or even full QH. Papers will be here next week, I’m curious to see. He doesn’t look quite so “quarter horsey” when he’s in shape but right now with all his tub...

Dona there are a few things.. the biggest is that the behaviours are inconsistent. He sometimes rears, spins and bolts back to his barn/paddock while being led. He has only tried this once so far and quit quickly after he didn’t get away from me. He’s also super ratty about oral medications. I have him on tummy meds and another supplement that needs to be given orally so that’s being worked on daily right now.. they both taste super good so I’m hoping he will give it up and start to enjoy it. Something must’ve happened because he gets into that very rock hard state, sweats and heart pounding. If only they could speak sometimes! The above behaviour he does in hand he also supposedly tries on the XC course sometimes. I was also told he can get really nappy and behind the leg while riding, but I’ve only been on him twice and any time he felt like that I threw the reins at him a bit and just said keep going and away we went. They said he has issues with taking up the contact but I haven’t had that problem yet. I will be taking my time to get him fitted up properly and focusing on solely dressage for a bit once he’s going w/t/c. Jumping will happen later in the year unless he tells me otherwise. I think the tummy stuff was overlooked even with a vets recommendation to treat him for ulcers (they released his med records to me) and he’s definitely a silent worrier. Some of the worry I think has to do with the way he was ridden and I suspect he was over jumped with little to not flat to properly round out his fitness regimen. All that said apparently he’s fabulous about 70-80% of the rest of the time!

Dona Worry likes this.
  8. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

He isn't, he's just a dun. He would be silvery tan with a lighter dorsal if he were Dunskin. He's just lighter than your average Dun. Feed him some copper supplement and he'll deepen in color.

He looks Appendix QH to me.

If he's getting stiff muscled and sweating, I would get bloodwork and some lineal disease testing done before riding him any more.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  9. MissCita

MissCita Senior Member

No he’s been totally wonderful and relaxed to ride so far! I was speaking to his fear reaction to oral syringes. As soon as he sees the syringe he goes stiff as a board, starts sweating and his heart starts going. He’s fine to bridle but otherwise very funny about his mouth and ears, he’s having some body work tonight and will be having a good look at his jaw and poll. He was started by someone who is very rough though as well and came to the previous owner with these issues.

manesntails likes this.
  10. MissCita

MissCita Senior Member

Him as a 4 (the lighter/skinnier pic) and 5 yo if it’s of any interest to anyone.. regardless of what he is, he’s a nice ride with a good jump and cost $1. He’ll be really nice for someone once I’ve got him sorted out.

Attached Files:

Dona Worry likes this.