Drying out abscess

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by endurgirl, Oct 27, 2018.

1. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

The laminitic mare has popped an abscess, and is wearing the hoof boots so the drainage has caused softness in her hooves/heels. I have them off right now but want to help dry up the drainage. Best thing to use?

2. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Read this for wrapping Wrapping hooves...a How To.
    I soak with diluted bleach or clean trax in used hospital ive bag, use wet animalintex for 4 days after abscess blows to make sure it all drains...then, dry animalintex under wrap and start painting with after pin fire paint, which is 35-40 % iodine, which you need to get from your vet (since jackasses make meth out of it...thanks jackasses) Betadine isn't string enough to dry it out. . I would not boot without wrap, and wrap may make boot unable to fit then, but as long as foot is on and foot is wet, you're not going to get it to dry out. And hope she is on 24/7 turnout to help with the movement.

endurgirl likes this.
  3. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

I think they sell that at Tractor Supply. I'll pick some up. And no way the boot will fit with the wrap as they're sized to the hoof, but she's not acting as tender footed now from the laminitis, just heel sore where the abscess is. Yes, she's on 24/7 turnout.

4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

You want to drain all the abcessed material out and heal it.
    Soak in epsom salts and really warm water, then pack it with ichthammol. That draws all the puss out.

5. Alyssa Hughes

Alyssa Hughes Senior Member+

Agreed. My gelding had two stubborn abscesses this spring and this worked the best. Although I have never tried @BluemoonOKy's method.

endurgirl likes this.
  6. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Be prepared for her to get more abscesses while she heals. My friend's horse that got laminitis 18 months ago first started out with bleeding ones and now just regular ones every few months.

I don't soak mine, but considering how damaged her hooves right now I agree with soaking to be sure you get it all out. Her immune system is probably still compromised for her to heal at naturally if you don't get it all out. I've done more like what Mane's recommends for mine along with epsom salts in the packing. I also put on wrap that is used for wounds to help soften the landing for my horse on the ground before wrapping it up since he wears shoes except during an abscess.

Good luck!

Alyssa Hughes and endurgirl like this.
  7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

And is WAY cheaper~!!

Alyssa Hughes and endurgirl like this.
  8. paval

paval Senior Member

Or try epson salt poutice... Durvet also makes it in a gel form which comes in a jar. Pack sole, cover/pad with cotton and wrap hoof (I just used duck tape, found the black Gorilla tape works good). Be sure to run the cotton up a bit over the heel bulb so you don't get rubs from the duck tape. Leave on 2 days, then check and repack if needed.

Durvet Epsom Salt Poultice Green Gel at Tractor Supply Co.

endurgirl likes this.
  9. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

With souvie’s abscesses after soaking and applying med’s I used a diaper to wrap and duct tape. The diaper helps absorb all the moisture and easy to change. Just a thought. It worked for him.

LoveTrail, endurgirl and paval like this.
  10. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

I used the green gel for souvie it did wonders. He had a abscess on his right front after treating for 4 days and changing daily and reapplying the gel (since he was a sissy with water) the abscess was gone! No soft spots at all. Of course then he got one on the left front and we had to start treatment on it but he was worth every hard minute of labor it took for him being in pain and having to hold his leg up to do it. We got it done.

paval likes this.