Dry, brittle mane & tail...?

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by Friesiangirl, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Friesiangirl

Friesiangirl Senior Member+

What do you do if the mane and tail gets brittle and a *bit* tangled?

I was thinking (it's hot here in oregon during the summer) that i give her
    a bath, with baby shampoo, because it made my cat's fur (long hair) who got out a lot healthier and easier to detangle. But will baby shampoo work? If i do it, i'll be doing it in mid-august (it's not my horse, it's my friends grandmas, and i'm going to MI to my grandmas LOL)

She addressed the problem to me, and i said i'll think of something, i really fell in love with her horse, who can't really even be ridden daily because of age (16yrs) but yeah...Chance has just a wounderful personality and it would rock
    if i could fix her mane up and get her back into shape just for trail riding.

2. Lindsayanne

Lindsayanne Senior Member+

Curlies have serious issues with brittleness (and tangles, but OMG let's not go there. LOL) I use a product called Lustrasilk Cholesterol- it's a hair moisturizer you can find in the "black hair" section at walmart. You goop it on, massage it into the hair, and it really seems to make a difference in the hair being less brittle. (It claims to detangle too, but since you don't comb curly manes I couldn't tell you if it works)

3. Friesiangirl

Thanks, well, chance is a QH and she has a medium length slightly wavy mane, i think i should try and brush it

4. mtroika

mtroika Senior Member+

I would try a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner leave the conditioner in for a 10 min or so and dont rinse all of it out. Then use mabe a leave in conditioner when the mane is dry. Works for my horses brittle mane. :)

Oh ya and 16 years isnt old for a horse my horse Troika is 21 and being ridden everyday :) :)

5. i_luv_wildfire

i_luv_wildfire Senior Member+

I wonder if Show Sheen would work-I don't know if there's different kinds but I've seen one that can be used all over the body or just in the mane and tail. Just spray it on and comb out the hair.

Oh, and BTW-16 years is NOT old for a horse-getting older, but not OLD. The lesson horse I ride is 28 and going strong. And the oldest horse in the barn is 36.

6. cassidy

cassidy Senior Member+

well if you want to keep it less brittle i would put leave in conditioner/detangler on it to help!

7. Dre55

Dre55 Senior Member

Try Rio Vista shampoo and conditioner it really seems to make the mane and tail alot healthier. The conditioner makes it easier to get tangles out.

8. MyBabyTex

MyBabyTex Senior Member+

Leave in Conditioner! I wanted to make Tex all purty and do his mane so I put leave in conditioner on him and wow... shiny and sexy. Just make sure to apply it really sparingly. Put a tiny dab in your hands and work it into an even coating. Then mush it into hair. After this, get a comb ( I use a human comb over my special horse one.. go figure) and work out any tangles. It leaves the mane really tangle free for quite awhile.

9. doyalikethemoon

doyalikethemoon Senior Member

Mix baby oil and Listerine 1:1 ratio and put that in the mane and tail. Make sure you get it all the way down to to roots for it to work best. My gelding's tail is looking amazing after just two applications.

10. Friesiangirl

well, i've been told, i pretty new to the horse world...thanks everyone for telling me :)

thanks for all the sudgestions :D