Droped Fetlocks? Help PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by cowboys_cowgurl, Sep 4, 2009.

1. cowboys_cowgurl

cowboys_cowgurl Senior Member+

I have a very handsome 20 yr old Quarab gelding[​IMG], who was my first horse, and is showing signs of his age. He has dropping fetlocks, which forced us to put him into a semi-retired life style. At first they wern't that bad, but now as he gets older they are dropped a lot, and basically touch the ground when he moves. :no: His back legs are the worst...

So what should I do? I have been wrapping his legs in polos when he goes out (I know not the greatest because they can come undone, but he is older and has no energy and is turned out with a also lazy pony) and specifically wrap under his fetlocks, and it seems to prevent the fetlocks from flexing to the ground.

I thought of possibly getting him Sports Medicine Boots for all four and turning him out with them, but there so expensive, I'd hate to buy him a set and not have them work (so if anybody has any that are in good shape and they want to get rid of them cheep I'd be interseted :D )

Does anybody have any ideas????

2. Seein'Spots

Seein'Spots Senior Member+

I'm pretty sure nothing you can buy will "work" its just a sign of age. It happends to alot of them. Wrapping would probably help support a bit while you ride.

3. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

Despite what you said, I would not use polos for turnout. The risks are too great. Use a well-wrapped standing wrap if you feel it helps.

I also would not use SMB-type boots for more than a couple of hours, and not even that long if it's hot. They retain too much heat.

what has your vet said? You really should find out if you're dealing with DSLD as a disease, or just suspensory desmitis as an age-related issue, or from straight hocks, etc. Straight-hocked horses usually eventually have the suspensory ligament start deteriorationg, allowing the fetlocks to drop. By the same token, suspensory desmitis, and DSLD, will cause the hock sto straighten as the fetlocks drop.

4. Yellowhorsesinc

Yellowhorsesinc Senior Member

He may have DSLD and if that is the case there are chinese herbs that can help his condition.

5. horsiehuntersam

horsiehuntersam Senior Member

Do NOT turn him out in SMB boots. They can cause a bandage bow - which you really do not want.

6. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

I, and I'm sure many others with horses with this progressive, incurable disease, would love to know more :)

So can any improperly applied bandage. If one puts on the SMBs correctly, turning the horse out for 2 hours shouldn't be any different than going trail riding for 2 hours ;)

7. TimmysMom

TimmysMom Senior Member

My farrier just worked on a Tennessee Walker's feet who's fetlocks had dropped to bowed-tendon situation - got his feet right, and that horse still floats along - at 17.

Talk to a corrective farrier before leg wraps. My mare showed the same signs at 19, and when I got her feet corrected, her fetlocks came up. I showed her until she was 27.

8. BettyBootsy

BettyBootsy Banned

Yes there right! Take if from my own stupidity! :eek: I just recently left my horse turned out for 2 days in smb boots on his back legs. Long story short. One leg was supposed to be pressure wrapped I just moved and it was raining so I thought it was a good ideal. NOT! I had no clue as I don't use them often. I've had the same new pair forever. Anyway I had 2 bows I was treating for a week but hes totally fine now. Thank god! Live and learn! :)

9. RickB.

RickB. Banned

http://www.angelfire.com/bc/curlygait/DSLD.html

Your horse is classic for DSLD/ESPA. Chinese herbs not withstanding, there is nothing that will overcome the ravages of this pathology. In time, euthanasia is the only humane treatment available.

You need to start preparing yourself for the inevitable.

10. cowboys_cowgurl

cowboys_cowgurl Senior Member+

I hate to think that he is going to be gone sooner than later. He is my best friend in the world, and I have owned him now for 5 years. I am not looking for something to cure it...just looking to make him more comfortable for years to come. I mean, for his fetlocks to drop so drasticly so soon, its heart breaking.