Driving problems need help

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by rioShandy, Jul 28, 2018.

?

Any ideas why he's plunging

1. Harness

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Cart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The way I'm driving

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Manners

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rioShandy

rioShandy Full Member

I've just started driving my horse, I've had him 5 years and done hundreds of hours of groundwork as I'm unable to ride him. I don't know his history but I am 99% sure he was broken to drive because he has taken to it like a duck to water. We've had 6 or 7 drives now out and about which I know isn't much but he's started to plunge forward violently when I ask him to walk after waiting at a junction. I don't use a whip, I have it in my hand in case but never use it. I litrally say "walk on" he knows what walk means he knows jig jog and trot on.
    I drive in a two wheel exercise cart, it's quite light and there's me and one other person who gets out at junctions to stand near his head if we have to wait a long time.
    He is fairly fit and quite strong, he's 14.2hh Welsh d type, driven in a french link snaffle.
    Any ideas would be great! Screenshot_2018-07-14-14-28-00.png

2. slc

slc Senior Member

Stick to an arena or flat field til he's better schooled. You'll probably have to use softer signals with him.

3. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

And does he do the same if you ground drive him, without the cart?

magoo320mj and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Well, your breast collar is way too tight. Look at his neck where the collar rides. You need to lower it a hole, put a breast collar pad on it, and see how he goes then.

When you started him, how often did you stop and stand. You can accidentally train a horse to be impulsive in getting the exercise over with by not walking him for a long time before trotting him. He expects to just go on and then go home.

Re-train that. Walk, turn around, go home, keep him hooked, stand around, talk, eat hay (he gets the hay) :ROFLMAO: get back on the cart, walk him around, etc.

5. OldGreyMare

OldGreyMare Senior Member

Your harness may also be cutting into his neck near the front of the withers, it is not sitting where it should be, looks too tight. And do you have a proper fitting "saddle" on the harness? Looks as if your using a blanket for padding. What is the harness made out of material wise?

National Ag Safety Database - National Ag Safety Database

horse carriages, Animal Sports International, Inc Atlanta, GA Vehicle Height

Here is an example of a proper fitting harness:
    [​IMG]

I actually use to show and still, on occasion, do pleasure driving, my draft mare is elderly so she is semi retired now. We also did public events and helped out those who needed help with harness fit and driving. If you need help let me know, glad to assist anywhere I can. Just pm me.

magoo320mj, ginster and meljean like this.
  6. meljean

meljean Senior Member

Cannot get two better members to help you than Manes and OGM. Follow their advice and you will be doing good in no time.

7. rioShandy

rioShandy Full Member

Thank you for replying
    The pad is under the saddle just as precaution because he has an old saddle sore from years ago it's totally healed the hair grew back white but I'm paranoid about it. I'll put the collar down a hole and start long reining him round the field today. I did lots of standing and starting with long reining, standing in laybys with big traffic going past. He wasn't very patient but he's a million times better at standing but now we have the plunging.
    I'll take pictures of him today stood square harnessed up if you wouldn't mind critiquing the fit as far as is possible from a picture!

8. OldGreyMare

Sure...don't mind helping at all....love that people are getting into pleasure driving and learning all they can. Just the FIRST thing is to ensure that your driving horse has the commands down 110% and to always be SAFE!

9. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I think you should also, now that I look again, lower your tugs so that the shafts of the cart are more parallel to the ground.

Study your picture, then the one OGM put up. Your harness and cart should ride like the one in that picture does. When The shafts are too high, the weight is all on the wheels, making the cart harder to push off with initially, so that could account for him having to lunge forward to get it rolling.

For light driving horses, pads under the saddle are standard.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    magoo320mj, shaiarabs and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  10. OldGreyMare

Manes is correct....if he has had old saddle sores and your still suspecting that he has residual pain, have your vet check him over thoroughly. The blanket can slip or wrinkle, causing issues.

Do you have someone nearby who is more experienced with driving who could help or mentor you?