Dressage Top Boots - what brands?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by StraightandTrue, Feb 12, 2018.

1. EnglishRider234

EnglishRider234 Senior Member

I have a suuuuper slim calf. Most "slim" calves are still too loose. Treadstep and Ariat DID NOT work for me. I adore my mountain horse boots. They fit me like an absolute glove.

StraightandTrue likes this.
  2. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Im aware of the difference, but its a good Teaching Moment.
    The laces seem to allow for a more refined ankle area of the shaft, but I didnt know if the laces themselves were a dressage no-no.
    Actually, judging by fairly recent discussions from COTH, it looks like laced field bots are allowed/ Not banned.
    Which would mean theyre just out of the ever-popular "fashion". :rolleyez:

I will amiably kowtow to an actual rule to the contrary if there is one. :tiphat:

I have Der Dau fields if theres not...

3. StraightandTrue

StraightandTrue Senior Member

Yup, my ankles are so thin I can literally get my hand around them with my thumb and middle finger touching... and I don't have very big hands! They're probably smaller than my husband's wrists haha.

4. StraightandTrue

The boots I previously bought were Ariat Heritage Dress boots. No laces, zipper up the back, and small elastic bit at the top. I bought them years and years ago for a hacking competition. I knew they weren't right at the time, but I desperately needed something to wear other than my chaps so I grabbed them. They're kinda the most basic off-the-shelf leather top boots you can buy.

I love hearing all the feedback from everyone. Last time I rushed into buying a pair without doing any research, so I definitely don't want to make that mistake again. It's a lot of money to spend and I want to get it right.

5. StraightandTrue

Can you explain the purpose of the stiffener up the back? What is the benefit? I was reading that it can be very uncomfortable and difficult to break in boots with a stiffener, but that it means you will ride with a longer, more quiet leg?

I just did a search on La Mundial and there are a lot of negative reviews on their fit and craftsmanship which is a bit off putting. Have you bought from them personally?

6. kb1gra

kb1gra Senior Member

I have small ankles (well, chicken legs in general) and DeNiro boots run small in the ankle.

I have three pairs of custom boots from Stivali Romitelli as well, arriving this Friday. I'll let you know how that worked out. The ordering experience was marginal but the price was insane. The most expensive pair was I think $700.

7. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

The purpose of the stiffener is to offer further support, length and stability to the leg. Trust me, they elongate your legs - if I switch from my broken in stiff boots to my half chaps, I shorten my stirrups 2 holes! Plus the leg just does.not.move.
    Yes they will take time to break in, but once’s they are broken in, they are just absolutely fantastic. I loath riding in anything else, but suck it up for “play days” (skijoring, mountain trail, beach rides, hacks, etc) and when breaking babies. When you start breaking them in, you start with your stirrups like 4 holes longer than usual (or don’t put your feet in the stirrups) and you just walk around. Then get off and switch and riding in your usual boots. You do that for a few days, then put your feet in the stirrups, then either start trotting or slowly shorten the stirrups. You’ll want mole skin to account for any rubbing as the leather breaks in, and you’ll add polish around the ankles each day too. They do not come broken in - that is not their purpose. So yeah, I’m sure there are tones of people complaining about the break in period of them, especially if they have never dealt with them before & came out of a soft form fitting boot.

LM boots can be a chance. The reviews are about right. I didn’t buy any, as I knew the reviews, but they are the cheapest custom boot you can get. I know someone close to me who had their typical experience and LM wouldn’t do a thing to fix it for them. They said they’d send them back and fix them, which she agreed to, but they didn’t change a thing on the boots & she paid shipping & import duty twice. *I* was lucky enough to fumble upon the owner of the company at a trade show, and he called the someone close to me & took the boots to fix them. I haven’t heard if they have come back properly or not yet, but she ordered an entirely new boot at 100% no charge. So I suppose if you take the chance & they dont turn out, PM me or the owners name to have the problem solved. Lol

8. kb1gra

kb1gra Senior Member

no, they're not. Romitelli, Eiki start well below $800 and Celeris starts around $700. My least expensive pair of Romitellis was $450ish.

9. uncanny580

uncanny580 Senior Member

I really think that if Celeris is in your budget....DO IT.
    They are for sure on my wish list for this year.

10. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

For a full on stiff dressage boot?? Many of the other boot companies have other boots that are lower, but the stiff ones tend to be more expensive :( But if there's other options that's great!

That said, the OP still hasn't clarified to say which boot option she's looking for.......