Dressage Top Boots - what brands?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by StraightandTrue, Feb 12, 2018.

1. StraightandTrue

StraightandTrue Senior Member

I am looking at investing in a pair of dressage top boots. I'd love to hear some feedback on what brands are good quality, what brands should be avoided, and thoughts on material choices (PVC vs leather). I've got long legs with a very skinny ankle - my current 'off the shelf' boots are too baggy around the ankle which is unflattering and unsupportive. I think I'll need to get custom fitted boots to fit my long skinny legs properly and avoid the same issue.

I've been looking at Celeris and Petrie, but I'm not sure what else is out there. I'm hoping not to spend a fortune if I can help it. I'd prefer to keep it under AUD $1,000 / USD $800 if possible, but if there's the option to pay them off over time I could go AUD $1400 / USD $1100.

All feedback is greatly appreciated!

2. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

Try off the shelf first...Tredstep, for example, unless you're needing "true" hardback, unbendable dressage boots. Then you need to spend some bucks.

3. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

I got a pair of gorgeous DeNiros as my college graduation present from my grandma, and they are amazing. They fit me super well (and I have pretty wide, short calves - they have lots of size combinations), are made very well, and are beautifully crafted. I get tons of compliments on them. The ankles on mine are very flexible, inner calf is nice and flexible to give a close feel, and the outer calf is moderately stiff which gives a really nice silhouette and feel. Mine were not this expensive when I got them, but this is the pair I have:
    https://www.smartpakequine.com/mobile/pt/10388

StraightandTrue likes this.
  4. StraightandTrue

StraightandTrue Senior Member

I've tried off-the-shelf already and the problem I have is my ankles are a lot smaller than the standard makes. The end result is my ankles are swimming in the boots.

5. Jim_in_PA

The reason I mentioned Tredstep is the don't have larger ankles...they have a pretty tight contour in that area. More traditional dressage boots are often pretty straight in that area due to their pull-on nature, which it sounds like would be off-putting to you.

6. uncanny580

uncanny580 Senior Member

Well if Celeris is in your budget - I would totally be buying those!

Agreed with Jim on the Tredstep. Try them on because they have super slim ankles!

StraightandTrue and hamerface like this.
  7. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Are you looking for a true honest to goodness Dressage Boot? One with the stiffner up the back?

If you are - forget about "contoured ankles" those boots do not have that & aren't designed for that, as you'd never get your darn foot in them, even with zippers to help. This style boot doesn't need contoured ankles, as the boot stabilizes your leg, so you will not be wiggling/moving your leg. The boot will need to fit the calf and foot though.

If you want contoured ankles, then you're going to be looking for more of a Dress Boot style. There are some Dressage Boots with the stiffner that have more contoured ankles (nothing fitted like treadstep or what you see in the hunter rings though), but they won't be as stiff, therefore offering less support to the leg.

Given your budget, and the want for custom..........La Mundial boots are likely all that's really available - theirs start at $800.

Petrie's wear like iron, as to Konig's. Cavallos don't wear quite as well, but they are still a really nice boot.

Alsosusieq2 and StraightandTrue like this.
  8. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Can you use field boots, and do they have to zip?

9. tlkidding

tlkidding Senior Member

For a fitted ankle, try Mountain Horse. I have several pairs of MH Victoria dress boots because I love them so much.

I also have traditional, stiff, non-zip dressage boots by Cavallo that I really love as well. I found both pairs on Ebay and both were semi-custom for the original owner.

I think Rectligne are very nice also, and you can get either dress with a narrow ankle or dressage with a stiff shaft.

I've seen the mid-range Petrie boots fail in the stitching after <2 years so I wouldn't get those unless I went to their top-end model.

10. Jim_in_PA

Field boots have laces and that's not something you'll find on dressage or dress boots.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.