dressage braids

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by ashmorgan, Jan 13, 2008.

1. ashmorgan

ashmorgan Senior Member

ok i know this has been mentioned before but sorry i need toknow how to do normal dressage braids american style for a aqha
    it will be for a district dressage show

thank you

2. Dicey

Dicey Senior Member

Well, I braid for dressage riders with rubber bands, and here's how I do it:

1. Brush out the mane so that it all lays flat on one side of the neck.

2. Start at the top, next to the horse's ear. Get a section of hair about 1"-2" wide and rub in some hair gel.

3. Braid the section as tightly as you can. I usually braid it until the braid is about 3"-4" long, depending on the thickness of the mane, then rubber band it and trim the end so I don't have stray hairs sticking out.

4. Fold the end of the braid under the mane so that the end is pressed against the underside of the start of the braid. Fold it under again, in the same direction, and put a rubber band around the whole thing.

5. Work your way down the mane in 2" increments or so. You may have to vary how much of the mane goes in each braid - manes are often thicker & thinner at different points on the neck.

If you get the right amount of hair in the braid, it forms little balls of hair. Takes some practice to get them just right, though, so try it out at home before you're at a show.

3. codyntampa

codyntampa Senior Member+

Im not 100% sure how its supposed to be done but when I braided for the dressage team at school I did it the same as hunter braids but I made them thicker and farther spread apart. So you have about 13 braids instead of 26. Then we taped them.

4. AtomicPenny

AtomicPenny Banned

For lower level dressage, I think this gives the nicest appearance. Dressage turnout needs to be understated and classic.

link with pictures, this is one of those things that pictures totally help haha

I don't recommend taping braids unless you're competing at a higher level. White tape makes the horses neck and topline stand out a lot At lower level dressage that's usually not something you want to put on a glaring display, it's best to leave the whole appearance simple and understated.

Karen

5. ashmorgan

ashmorgan Senior Member

do you have to roll them under the 2nd time

6. AtomicPenny

AtomicPenny Banned

I personally think rolling them up is nicer for a dressage class, if you're thinking of just that first fold that's more similar to hunter braiding but still seen in the dressage ring. This gives better instructions if that's the way you want to go.

Karen

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2015
  7. JKetsche

JKetsche Senior Member+

I sew them in for bigger competitions, but for smaller shows I'll just band them. You should fold them over twice. For a tighter braid (particularly at the base), braid straight up rather than down. This will help then you fold them over as well. Thick waxed thread is also recommended if you'll be sewing. I would also recommend QuikBraid over gel, since gel can get goopy and messy. Be sure to have a sponge handy so you can wipe down the neck (wipe of excess QuikBraid or gel). Hope that helps!