Dream Equine Therapy Center in South Carolina, anyone familiar with them?

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by meljean, Jul 3, 2018.

1. meljean

meljean Senior Member

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

meljean likes this.
  3. Alyssa Hughes

Alyssa Hughes Senior Member+

I don't mean to be blonde (no offense to blonde people), but is this for real?! "So please when you think about buying or breeding a horse, ADOPT. Don’t breed, don’t support or buy from breeders, RESCUE!" Oops I bought a horse from a breeder... :whistle:

manesntails and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  4. meljean

meljean Senior Member

Sadly this is all too real.

As is this from lcc's site...stating that the problem with overbreeding of horses is the nursemare industry that is the 'secret shame of the TB racing industry' and JC's insistence of live cover in hand only for breeding mares?

And says that AI and ET are way to go.

You do the mate. Live cover in hand means one ejaculation....ONE foal. Period.

AI means one ejaculation, extended resulting in minimum of 4 foals, maybe now able to get 10 foals depending on technology used...TEN versus one...

Or the ET.....flush how many eggs resulting in how many foals? Someone on here may know for sure if they work in repro, but

ONE foal via the JC rules of live cover in hand.

Versus 5 to 10....possibly more?

How does that make sense.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. rhinebeck

rhinebeck Senior Member

On the live cover / ai / et debate

AI is currently a good option for breeding - generally you’re sent enough straws to try and if needed re try your mare (those “5-10” foals) in a contract are shipped to you for the purpose of producing one foal. I do believe most contracts state extra straws not needed for breeding to be returned or purchased for future use or stored in the event of “no live foal” from the breeding happens. But it also leaves the option to breed outside stallions that are too far away for live cover or the mare won’t take live cover.

Live cover is obviously the most natural way and will usually result in a pregnancy and live foal. However, it brings risk to stallion if there’s a kicky mare or similar.

Embryo Transfer is hugely expensive - it’s generally reserved for high performing horses who they want to continue showing or do not want to risk carrying a foal to term. It has costs including the flushing, fertilization and implanting in surrogate mare. With that you need to “lease” a surrogate mare to carry foal to term and take on the costs of her feed and care - your cost for breeding can double or triple this route.

****im not an expert on breeding but this is what I’ve learned lurking the board - some may not be 100% accurate and I do apologize.

6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

They're liars and the idiots who believe their stories don't seek to come out of their ignorant shell.

You can NOT take a mare out of training, knock her up, foal her out and EXPECT her to go back and race. Once they're out of training, they're a broodmare, or sold to be riding horses.

These people have no idea what it takes to condition a horse, at all. If you tried that, it would take more than what the mare was worth in training costs to gain Pre-pregnancy condition.

And they don't BORROW nursemares. You have a foal that lost it's mother and you send the foal to the nursemare facility. It nurses off a mare and so does the mare's foal, if it hasn't already been weaned at 4or 5 months.

Some mares can nurse four foals a day. They are like Cows and keep producing milk as long as they're fed good and something is nursing. That's how they get to be nursemares: they don't care if it's their foal or not and they're good milk producers.

7. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

I think what was meant was, by using extender, a stallion owner can ship as many as 4 straws from one collection, 4 potential foals from one collection vs no possibility (unless twins) from 1 live cover.

The costs associated with AI and ET have dropped considerably over the years and, I imagine will continue to drop along with the cost of cloning.