Draft horse people!!!

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by BipolarHonor, Jan 12, 2019.

1. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Nutrena Senior is a sweet feed at 20% NSC. I would get him a lower NSC feed. Even just the alfalfa pellets would be better and I think cheaper?

ginster likes this.
  2. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Poor guy needs some tlc...
    He looks crammed in there, how big is his stall - and is this his usual stance?

3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Always remember: GRAIN does NOT put weight on; it provides energy. HAY puts weight on.

He's gonna look really good when you get done. Three months he'll be another horse.

Alsosusieq2 and Bebe like this.
  4. OldGreyMare

OldGreyMare Senior Member

That isn't necessarily true...our draft gets hay AND grain, to keep the weight on her...even our vet said to give her a grain that has a bit more calories as she was loosing weight and they get access to a round bale all day long. If they are in they get hay and an orchard grass/alfalfa mix hay in their bags....as a draft ages, they need the grain to help keep the weight on...and yes, provide energy as well

5. Hounds

Hounds Registered

I've a Draft x (Shire x Paint/TB) but he's a all year dressage horse & his diet would be more than that sweet looking fella could likely take right now. Free choice hay is a good suggestion though.

By the way, given his looks, I'd really suggest having a vet take a peek at him.

It'd be a cost but, as they say, better safe than sorry and if the vet's good he/she will likely know a good food/routine & how much to give him without potentially risking digestive issues. More importantly by having a vet look prior to him bulking up you'd know if there's any other issues before they get too serious & also have an expert's opinion if you/stable owner/vet/horse rescue/spca wanted to consider pursuing neglect charges on his owner & potentially make them give him up.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. BipolarHonor

BipolarHonor Senior Member

UPDATE: Barn owner finally got in contact with horse owner. She says her doctor has deemed her pregnancy "at risk" and she isnt allowed to do anything so she was paying someone to come take care of him December/January. We informed her nobody has been out for several weeks. She seemed upset over it and says she is going to confront the girl about it and that she has someone interested in buying him but is unsure if they will now that he is in this condition. Not sure how much we believe (long back story) but the BO did offer to take ownership of horse and wipe out what she owes him. She hasn't decided yet but he said the offer stands and I'm still in charge of his care til he leaves because BO can no longer trust him to be taken care of any other way. I cut his feed back after reading some suggestions on here. He still gets the free choice hay but he only gets a total of 3qts a day of the grain now instead of the 6qts. His stall is small for his size (12×12) I turn him out in the riding ring (weather permitting) every day and pasture when its dry or frozen and I'll slowly start working him when the weather breaks if he is still around. The barn owner did not realize she was bringing a draft horse when he allowed her to come otherwise he probably would've told her no.

Alsosusieq2, Bebe and manesntails like this.
  7. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

Poor dude. I hope she gives up ownership of him--whether her story is true or not, I would never treat a horse in such a careless way.
    I would feed all the hay he can eat and throw in some alfalfa timothy pellets as well. I would treat him like a rescue horse who needs re-fed and following the guidelines of feeding a small amount of alfalfa and gradually increasing it. You can get alfalfa pellets or cubes at any feed store really. Good luck!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. BipolarHonor

Is it just me being hopeful or does he actually look better?
    20190204_202413.jpg
    20190204_202415.jpg

Owner is avoiding again and hasn't given any updates on her plans for him so I'm gonna start slowly putting him back into work along with my guys so if the BO ends up with him like we are figuring will happen we can find him a new home quicker.

9. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Yeah, he's coming right along~!!

Alsosusieq2 and LoveTrail like this.
  10. BipolarHonor

Good. We finally had a break in the super cold nasty weather and the ground was frozen enough in the pastures for turnout so the big guy and all my guys spent the past 3 days enjoying pasture with plenty of hay.

manesntails and Alsosusieq2 like this.