Draft horse people!!!

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by BipolarHonor, Jan 12, 2019.

1. BipolarHonor

BipolarHonor Senior Member

What do you guys feed your draft horses. Amounts, types of grain, etc. Out at my barn there is a Belgian gelding. We are a self care barn and the owner hasn't really been taking care of him. He has lost a bunch of weight. The owner if the property and I have been talking and no one has seen the girl or signs of her for days and he has other issues going on with her so he is now paying me to take care of the horse til he straightens things out with her. BUT I've never owned a draft so I don't have the slightest clue the amount if grain he requires or any if that. I have him in unlimited grass hay til start and 3qt scoop 2x a day of the nutrena senior feed she has out here for him. Is that enough grain. If she doesn't show up or communicate with anyone by Monday I'll have to go get him more grain I was looking at a 12/8 pelleted feed where I get my feed from I'm not a fan of nutrena. Is that too much fat for him?

And side note yes we are keeping track of his hay, bedding and grain and the owner will be collecting the money from her to pay for all of this once he gets ahold of her. We arnt doing this for free and didn't want to have to resort to this but we cant sit back and let it go on like this anymore. She has been flakey and on and off with his care since she came in July but it has gotten worse recently.

2. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Senior Member+

I’d go by weight calculations and treat it like any other horse. The free choice hay is a good start.

Sorry to hear about the lack of care on the owners part. She’s gonna have a hefty bill!

3. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

Poor dude.
    Free choice hay is best. Since he's lost weight I would add extra calories like alfalfa cubes or beet pulp or rice bran to get him back up to where he should be.

Hope the owner doesn't skip out all together and leave the horse.

ginster likes this.
  4. BipolarHonor

Honestly I don't need another horse and neither does the barn owner but the horse would be better off if she did just give him up. He us super sweet. Needs manners but since she hasn't done anything with him no surprise there. He likes to grab his halter and lead rope off the wall outside his stall and throw it at me and my husband when he wants to go out.

Mcdreamer and ginster like this.
  5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

A bale of hay a day, a flake of or feeding of alfalfa hay cubes, soaked and THE LOWEST possible protein grain. A draft doesn't need 14% protein, nor do they need a larger amt. of grain than a light horse. They need all thehay they will eat.

BipolarHonor likes this.
  6. BipolarHonor

So the 10% protein pellet would be enough for him. I don't really want to put him on a textured feed since he has been getting nutrena I'm afraid it will make him colic switching him to a sweet feed especially in winter when he isn't use to having consistent feed in him yet.

manesntails likes this.
  7. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

My fjord perch colt is on basically free choice hay, and then enough grain to get some equipride down. So I think doing a ration balance for him would be good, then a good quality alfalfa and grass hay

8. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

10% is great, if you can find it, no sweet feed. Grain him until he puts on enough to be back to normal weight, then, if he maintains on good hay, you can switch to a ration balancer and see how he does on it.

ginster likes this.
  9. OldGreyMare

OldGreyMare Senior Member

To put some weight on him, you can add corn oil to his grain. Careful with the alfalfa cubes, I much prefer alfalfa flakes from a bale if you can get it. The free choice hay is a great idea, they need the roughage and something to do. Does he get turn out at all? Do you know how his teeth are?

turnnburnlynx likes this.
  10. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Drafts don't need a lot of high energy feed I'm pretty certain. You're probably fine with good hay and ration balancer with a bit of grain. I only know their metabolism is slower for lack of a better word.