Dover Circuit Dressage Saddle Questions

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by SunnyCideBay, Jan 3, 2019.

?

Can I fix my gummy billets?

Poll closed Feb 21, 2019.
  1. Yes!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. sadly, no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SunnyCideBay

SunnyCideBay Registered

Hiya! I have a Dover Circuit Dressage saddle that I love. I have heard many things about them and wondered if you guys knew anything. Is it true that they were/are manufactured my Black Country? The leather is surprisingly supple and sturdy.
    Also, the billets are sorta gummy (like they are coated in wax), what is this from and can it be fixed. Usually it would not bother me, but due to it, the billets look more gray than black.

2. palogal

palogal Senior Member

I doubt Dover Circuits are made by Black Country. You're comparing a 4K saddle to a 1K saddle and my experience with Circuit saddles is that the quality really is not there for the price and Black Country is not that way. Just MO. I don't think so. As for your billets, a glycerin soap product or some sort should help that.

3. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

Clean the billets with an ordinary saddle soap. Do not condition them.

If they do not come clean, try acetone dilluted to see if you can strip away the grease. Be very careful with it, as it will destroy the finish on your saddle. I would seal them again with glycerine saddle soap if you can get the gummy/tacky stuff off them.

It is very unlikely your saddle is made by Black Country. @Rhythm 'n Blues may know who makes Dover saddles, or perhaps @Tack Collector

4. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

I don’t know who makes them, but it’s not Black Country. BC has enough demand that they do not make any other saddles to my knowledge.

As for the billets - do you have a photo? How waxy gummy are they? Out of anything to replace on a saddle billets are the cheapest........and one of the most important things in ensuring a safe ride. So when in doubt - just get them replaced.

hamerface likes this.
  5. SunnyCideBay

SunnyCideBay Registered

The leather on the inside is fine. It's just like there is about a 2mm thick layer of grime. Yuck!

6. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

if its just grime, clean them with saddle soap and see where you are at.

If they look compromised once clean, replace them. Its a relatively inexpensive fix that shouldn't be put off.

Clean them and post photos if you are uncertain.

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  7. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

^ What Hamer said. I don't understand why you don't just try cleaning the grime off.

8. palogal

palogal Senior Member

Oddly enough, I just got my new saddle delivered today and it had that stuff on it to. I’m want to say it’s due to moisture/lack or airflow in shipping. A little Leather New and it was gone.

hamerface likes this.
  9. SunnyCideBay

SunnyCideBay Registered

I have tried to clean it off. I used normal saddle soap and it didn't work. I was wondering if y'all had other ideas.

10. Tack Collector

Tack Collector Senior Member

Try Lysol disinfectant wipes or knockoffs of them. Rubbing alcohol if that doesn't work.