Double S saddles?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Donavans Fire, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Donavans Fire

Donavans Fire Senior Member+

I am in the market for a work saddle and was about to buy an RS, but then came across a used Double S, which is Schneider's brand. They are pretty cheap. This particular one, new, is around $500.

I know the general rule is that you get what you pay for but I've been very pleased with all of Schneider's products, even the $25 bridle I have that is very soft leather. But I haven't seen their saddles and am still leery of buying something so cheap.

The other thing is this saddle is actually semi QH which I *think* will fit my horse better. OTOH I will be riding other horses too so maybe I'm better off with a FQHB and padding it up for her.

So what would you do? Used RS for $650 or used Double S for $375? Being nearly half the cost makes it tempting, but then you know what they say about things that sound too good to be true.

2. Allkian

Allkian Senior Member

Double S are hit or miss. I've seen some OK ones, but I would definitely go for the RS if you have the fnds to do so. Double S is not that great of a brand and doesn't wear that great. I have a few friends with Double S and even between those few I've seen, the quality varies greatly. Probably not what you want to hear, but that's been my experience. If you had pictures of the two saddles in question, that might help, but unless you can REALLY judge saddles and guarantee this is a better made Double S, I would pass on it. Especially if you think you might need a wider angled saddle. :)

3. MissApril

MissApril Senior Member

4. Donavans Fire

Here's the Double S:

[​IMG]

This isn't the exact RS, but same model:

[​IMG]

Thanks very much for the input. I was prepared to pay 6-700 on a saddle and don't want to risk getting a cruddy one. Saving a couple hundred sounded exciting though LOL. I was also looking at a Steve Flick but it's $700 and a trophy saddle so I think I'll go for the RS.

5. Donavans Fire

MissApril we posted at the same time. i do believe Double S and Billy Royal are separate brands though Schneiders sells both, with BR being the more upscale of the two.

6. MissApril

MissApril Senior Member

I bough a Double S and it says Billy Royal on it so I called and asked them. But yes the Billy Royal is more upscale than the SS.

[​IMG]