Double Noseband - Anyone Used One??

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Baboo, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Fancy That

Fancy That Senior Member

I don't know how this can be "stronger" ? Any of these types of extra straps are meant to do one thing: Limit the horse from opening it's mouth.

So a more "effective" strap, simply - more effectlively keeps the mouth closed. So the equipment isn't stronger or helps a strong horse. It simply will do a better or worse job of "closing the mouth"

The rider has more control when the horse's mouth is close. And this is only if the "strong horse" opens it's mouth to escape/runaway or not listen. And therefore the strap shuts it.

Again - these types of extra straps on a noseband are all to just shut the mouth closed - effectively and comfortabely (hopefully, for the horses' sake)

When I think of something that is meant for a strong horse, and is actually doing something to help a strong/hot/excited horse - I though maybe part of the noseband attaches to the bit, so you have like a noseband/bridge of nose PLUS the bit to help you control the horse. Not the case with these :)

Sorry for the long post. This is all coming from someone who uses NO noseband. Not even a simple noseband :) I'm only inclined to put one on the bridle when I have to (to look proper for a clinic or to go to a show ) :)

Alsosusieq2 and Baboo like this.
  2. Baboo

Baboo Senior Member

Absolutely. I do appreciate input, but I am particularly looking for experience in this type of noseband/bridle. I don't consider this necessarily a shortcut training issue, but rather something to be used to keep myself, and others around us, safer, while I can continue to expose this particular mare to the conditions that get her revved up, in the hope that consistent exposure to those situations will make them a bit less energizing to her. I think additional experience/time in those situations will eventually solve the trouble we are having right now.

This makes sense to me as well.

And as Fancy points out, there is nothing particularly evident that would explain any magic here - I may contact the maker to see if they have any actual explanation for the theory that this is particularly well suited to 'strong' horses. I have noticed a few similar bridles across several brands, so it may be nothing but a trend or there could be some actual benefit to the design. In general, I am skeptical about most things like this, but have seen some positive results with other innovative ideas that at least open my mind to possibilities. I guess I am hoping that something like this might at least get her attention without resorting to something even more restrictive or severe. As I said, she is generally a lovely mare to ride, just really boisterous in some situations.

Fancy That and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  3. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

I've always thought it was simply a different way to attach a flash.

My theory was people tend to adjust nosebands to sit directly under the cheek bones and then add a flash. This always has the flash pulling the nose and down. I assumed this was invented to solve that.

Alsosusieq2 and Fancy That like this.
  4. tlkidding

tlkidding Senior Member

Yeah - most people have their cavesson too high and then the flash pulls the front of it down and the tighter you adjust both, the worse it is. If you truly have the cavesson 2 fingers below the cheek bones, on most horses a properly adjust flash would sit correctly below the bit.

If your horse is strong XC, how is she strong? Is she crossing her jaw, gaping her mouth, pulling down, inverting...

All of those issues have different tack to solve them. This I could see for the crossing jaw and gaping mouth, but I'd start small and work my way up to this - micklem/anatomical, regular flash, drop, figure eight, then try this. I'd also note that often mouth issues are rooted in a rider that holds or pulls too much (I'm guilty of this too on a strong horse) rather than a hold and very noticeable release in the half halt.

Alsosusieq2 and Fancy That like this.