Double Noseband - Anyone Used One??

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Baboo, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Baboo

Baboo Senior Member

Double Noseband.jpg Wondering if anyone has actual experience using of these nosebands. I have heard they are very good for especially 'strong' horses (I have lots of experience with that particular 'breed' :rolleyes:), and thinking this may be something worth a try. Would be interested in your experiences if you have tried it! I am usually a bit wary of these "new-fangled" things, but have found that sometimes they do actually work.
    Not something I would use everyday, but more for specific circumstances, when the horse in question is typically more difficult to control. She is a wonderful mare, but really big, and very strong, especially over fences cross-country when she gets 'excited.'

2. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Not sure why that is any more advantage than a properly adjusted flash, or even drop noseband. Without knowing how it is meant to work I would say someone is yet again reinventing the wheel, because they know horse people love new gadgets!

(Apart from the enlightened among us, who now buy lessons rather than gadgets)

Nu5ha likes this.
  3. Baboo

Baboo Senior Member

I have seen a similar 'flash' attachment that was described as being more comfortable (ergonomic) for the horse - see attached pic. MT flash attachment.jpg
    Also the assertion that the double noseband (in the first post) is more like a drop noseband than a flash, which I have found several horses in my past have preferred (the drop I mean). I am wondering if the combo of the cavesson and drop together is somehow a bit different than a regular flash. Maybe it's the direction that the strap takes - straighter from the nose rather than the angle?
    I am not one to randomly use 'training aids', but this particular mare is, as I said, very strong when she gets wound up (17 hh and just shy of 1500 lbs), and she is very "enthusiastic" cross country! I may give it a try, to see if it does indeed make a difference. In a ring or just hacking, the mare is perfectly happy and manageable with a regular cavesson, but the excitement of jumping or in the hunt field moves her up a notch, or two, or three LOL...

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. Nu5ha

Nu5ha Senior Member

This is what it's supposed to do

"It controls the opening of the mouth and, thanks to the lateral straps joining the 2 parts, it also limits the shifting of the jaws.
    As the two parts can be adjusted independently, all tightening combinations are possible depending on the horse and the intended effect.
    Also, the positioning of the drop prevents pinching at the corners of the mouth.
    Although it is designed for strong horses, it can be used on all horses with a suitable adjustment."

I'm not big into these kind of things. Someone at the barn has this on her horse and to be honest I see no difference at all from when the horse was in a drop to this. I think it's one of those things that's a step up like a bit, have no brakes in a snaffle get yourself a gag or whatever. Horse opens his mouth strap it shut, still opens his mouth get something stronger to shut its mouth, instead of trying to work through the issues in the first place. Don't get me wrong sometimes I do use something a little stronger but it's not a permanent thing. I work through what I need to work through then back to the bare minimum.
    I also think if this niseband isn't adjusted correctly like so many tack items can hurt the horse and not actually help the problem but make it worse.

5. SparkleDust

SparkleDust Senior Member

It reminds me of a figure-8 bridle. Figure-8s are known to be relatively kinder than your typical noseband, so I'm not sure how a double noseband would help a strong horse.

6. Baboo

Baboo Senior Member

Of course tack adjusted incorrectly can cause problems, but I am just asking if anyone has actually used this type of noseband. I am aware of the need for training, and working through issues, and indeed this mare is wonderful to ride 95% of the time. I am asking about this piece of equipment solely for very specific circumstances when she gets very strong. She normally goes in a plain cavesson and a KK Ultra snaffle for ring work (including jumping) and regular hacking.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  7. ILuvMyAppyQH

ILuvMyAppyQH Senior Member

I love the Butet bridle w/ this noseband, a boarder at my barn has one. Boarder said her horse goes really well in it, similar to a flash but doesn't get as gunky when the horse slobbers.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. Baboo

Baboo Senior Member

Thank you! Actual experiences are what I am looking for!!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Just remember to be a little bit grateful to the rest of us, we might not have anything helpful, but at least your thread keeps getting bumped ;)

Alsosusieq2 and Nu5ha like this.
  10. sherian

sherian Senior Member

I suspect from the mechanics of that noseband it was originally intended to allow for a drop noseband effect while using a standing martingale. May work better than a tradtional drop due to individual horse face shape comfort factor, but doubt it is inherently stronger.

Alsosusieq2, Baboo and miscetera like this.