Doorbells!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Arem, Jan 29, 2018.

1. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Have you ever considered a bell that buzzes or tone-chimes, like Westminster tones, to see if it doesnt set him off?
    We have a clock that quarter chimes, and does a full Westmister on the hour, and none of the dogs have ever reacted to it,even after an earthquake 'wound' the thing with pendulum sway. Seen some doorbells with changeable or WM chimes.
    Something about a doorbell.. I was watching a TV show where they kept ringing an apartment door, and after the 1/2 dozenth time that the dog with me jumped up, I was seriously considering changing the show just for some quiet enjoyment.

2. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

I disabled my door bell and if someone knocks, I scope out the driveway and decide from there. Not a whole lot of people I'll let in my personal safe place.

Arem likes this.
  3. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

For those that are without big hounds to guard them, you can teach you Alexa to bark/snarl when the doorbell rings. You just enable the Add On then say "Alexa tell Guard dog to Guard" and voila!

Granted, that doesn't help you if you are opening the door and need back up, but it certainly would give knockers the impression that, even if no one answers, "someone" is home and ready to greet them should they pursue entry differently.

Rhythm 'n Blues and Arem like this.
  4. secuono

secuono Senior Member

Don't answer door, nor phone, unless I know them and/or am expecting them. Same while I'm out in pasture or barn and someone stops by and tries to flag me down.

Alsosusieq2 and Arem like this.
  5. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

Cell phones vibrating and buzzing set him off too. He's very noise sensitive and most noises make him crazy. Even text chimes make him jump and pace.

6. EventerNic6187

EventerNic6187 Senior Member

I live in an "up and coming" neighborhood (to put it nicely) so I've got security cameras and a ring doorbell. If I get a notification that there's motion in my front yard, I just look at the camera and decide whether I want to open the door. 9 times out of 10 it's peacocks o_O. the other one time it's the delivery dudes guy with my order of pad thai.

ginster, Arem and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  7. RG NIGHT HEIR

RG NIGHT HEIR Senior Member

Most of the time I answer,while holding onto my viciously barking German Shepherd. "Sorry can't hold onto her much longer " always gets me off quickly.
    Also letting them know what's living here incase they are scoping out the neighborhood.

Attached Files:

ginster and Arem like this.
  8. slc

slc Senior Member

The world has come to a very sad place when so many of us find the door bell or phone or a visitor that impossible to bear and that colossal of an offense. That is very sad indeed.

9. Arem

Arem Senior Member

I find it offensive when people expect me to suddenly drop everything to pay attention to their royal selves. (Unexpected visitor or phone call.) I think that it’s incredibly self centred of them. I’ve got things to do!

I don’t mind visitors. I just like to be able to prepare and set up a time where I’m free and able to enjoy their company.

I’d rather talk in person than on the phone.

Add to the above that I’ve heard of people being greeted with a gun when they opened the door to an unexpected doorbell....

I like living. I think I’ll pass. ;)

Darn millennials, though. They just ruin everything. Society is ruined. And it’s just so sad! :willynilly::bawling:

10. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

It's a good thing there are few Dutch people replying here. If it's your B-Day & you're Dutch, you stay home....and everyone comes to visit you & have tea/coffee & cake/cookies etc.......plus random drop in hello's are very much a normal thing throughout any other time of the year. lol

Faster Horses and Arem like this.