Doorbells!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Arem, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Ms_Pigeon

Ms_Pigeon Senior Member

No doorbell, so I'll reference knocking. :)

I tend to answer. It may seem counter-intuitive, but I live in a really lousy neighborhood - people generally only come knocking if they have a legitimate reason (political candidates, people who are at the wrong house, UPS, etc.). Anyone trying to "do dirt" isn't going to announce their presence.

Also, Brooks (King of the Neighborhood, aka my dog) takes barking at the door very seriously. I've yet to look through the peephole at a stranger on the porch who doesn't take an involuntary step back when they hear him on the other side of the door.

CJ likes this.
  2. Ms_Pigeon

Ms_Pigeon Senior Member

Hahaaaa: THIS. My parents have a doorbell and it turns their dogs into berserkers! In fact, there was a TV commercial running during the NFL season (my dad and I are rabid fans) that featured someone ringing a doorbell identical to my parents'. The second it would begin, we would fall over one another trying to mute the commercial before the dogs heard the doorbell sound and let loose.

3. Arem

Arem Senior Member

I’ll have to get back to you on that if I’m ever home when they come around. :rofl:

It would depend on two things probably: Can I see that that’s who it is from my hidey hole and what sort of mood am I in? :p

4. equineeventer33

equineeventer33 Senior Member

Nope, never answer the door. I usually peak out to see who it is. Even though I'm in a no soliciting neighborhood we have people selling stuff door to door all the time. One time I looked out the window and saw a man at the door and a beat up creepy panel van parked outside my house, with another man in the drivers seat. No business logo on the van, had a temporary tag. When he finally left they didn't go to any other houses. So I'm glad I didn't answer THAT door. If I ever did answer the door, I'd likely slip my gun on first. Can't trust anyone these days. Can't wait to be back in the country and not deal with door to door people! The last neighborhood I lived in, there was a guy going door to door and apparently he tried to open the door to my neighbors house when no one came to answer the door, but she was home and luckily had the door locked. I assume he didn't try that at my house because of my dogs barking.

Tack Collector, manesntails and Arem like this.
  5. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Ditto this, especially considering its a Great Dane.
    Most expressions are clearly concerned ":confused: That sounds like a BIG dog."
    The stepup means the open door puts said Big Dog basically face to face with a porch Person. :eek:
    Our first Dane had a high pitch bark for her size and people were routinely surprised when the door opened :eek2:.
    I love having a peephole. It dictates whether door gets opened, or a window.
    Because my cattledog would kneecap people, I started going to a window instead of the door.. and would tell porch-preachers "Sorry, I cant let you in; my dog is possessed." :devil: Which they werent sure wasnt exactly true, since she was usually across the room sort of losing her mind. :crazy2:

6. reicheru

reicheru Senior Member

I may have already spent my $40 budget with my niece.... but I can always be convinced to make bad decisions for a box of thin mints lmao

manesntails, Arem, CJ and 1 other person like this.
  7. ginster

ginster Senior Member

When I was still living with my parents we always had at least one GSD. They all took guarding the house seriously and barked when the bell rang. If I was alone and wasdn't expecting anyone I opened the door with the dog/s by my side. If it was someone who started to argue after I told them I am not donating money at the door and/or want to talk about accepting Jesus as my lord and saviour, I let the dog/s take one or two steps forward. That usually send them off...
    I became cautious after moving into my first sppartment. Not that anything ever hapoened but my anxiety always insisted on a little movie of what *might* happen.
    If I still had a good sized dog I would always greet people with them by my side.

manesntails likes this.
  8. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Sometimes size is secondary. I actually had someone look at the Great Dane and my 1/2 cattledog, who was kneehigh, side by side, and say "The big dog doesnt worry me, but the little one- is Scary."
    Lil dog had GS type markings, and could flash teeth when she barked.
    She wasnt even my "hate the world" red ACD. Red was like a weapon that aimed itself and was easier to register. Good with the Dane & family, 'hated' the rest of the world.

manesntails and ginster like this.
  9. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

My "doorbell" wieghs about 5lbs and is quite interactive! I don't actually have a doorbell and, since I live far from the beaten path, I rarely get unexpected visitors. People just don't come to my house by accident. People up to no good often drive through my pasture and never even realize there is a house there. Convenient for me, I see them drive by and call the SO without them ever knowing they have been seen. The SO always responds promptly and is often rewarded with recovering stolen property, usually oil field related stuff.
    I can't even have UPS or Fedex deliveries and probably would not even if I could. I do not receive mail of any kind at my house. I would probably lose my mind if I ever had to live in town again. Coyotes can be problematic but not nearly like people can!
    I do answer the door though. I am never unarmed if I am not expecting anyone and do not know the person(s). Some 'yotes come in a 2-legged variety that are easily intimidated!

manesntails and Arem like this.
  10. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

If my doorbell rings, the first thing that would cross my mind is, "... I thought I disabled that thing!"

And then I'd get immediately mad at whoever it was, because they should KNOW BETTER than to ring that doorbell or knock, because my dog goes absolutely snakey. My friends and family know to call or text when they're here, so I can contain the beast and open the door and spare us all the massive ruckus that happens when my Doberman hears any noise and freaks out. I even had a sign on my door, asking people not to ring the bell or knock because my dog went nuts... and people would do just that to see if I actually had a dog.

The fear on their face when a 90lb Doberman jumped at the door, growling and barking, was generally enough to discourage repeat behavior.

And before anyone asks... my dog is highly anxious, on medication (Fluoxetine/Prozac) and door knocking/doorbells is one of the biggest triggers he has to cause a break in his sanity.

manesntails and Arem like this.