Doorbells!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Arem, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Arem

Arem Senior Member

The doorbell rings. You aren’t expecting anyone. Do you answer?

2. Arem

Arem Senior Member

I don’t. :rofl:

I relate to this quote from this article:
    I'm a millennial and I refuse to use a doorbell

I’m guessing that’s how it started, anyway. Now it just continues because... why would I *want* to answer the door when I’m not expecting anyone????

Apparently, not answering the door is supposed to be a “Millennial” thing? But I want to see what the consensus is here since we have a wide span of generation on this forum, last thing I knew. :D

This is what started me down this track:
    96437523-7099-4FEF-B4FB-A55A81F97300.jpeg
    :rofl:

3. Puddincup

Puddincup Senior Member

Not if I’m alone I don’t! I have huge windows in my house though so if it’s a vehicle I don’t recognize I go hide in the back room till they go away. We live down a long lane though so that happens maybe once a year.

kodemiester, SparkleDust and Arem like this.
  4. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

Anyone who I expect to come over knows to just walk in, I get more startled if a friend/family member knocks, I'd rather they just walk in. So it's very rare/unusual if I get a knock/doorbell. I'd probably peek out window and depending on time of day, might open door. Very big might.

kodemiester and Arem like this.
  5. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Yay! I’m not the only one who hides! :rofl:
    I usually go diving for a place I can’t be seen and peek to try to get a glimpse of the person who dared come to the door unannounced. :p

I’m in a subdivision so it happens semi-frequently.

My mother is the type who answers and spends forever talking to the salesman about whatever he’s selling. :rolleyez:

6. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Mmmm. Maybe. People tend to get lost on my road, so I will usually answer the door if it's someone looking lost.
    If it is:
    A woman
    A man but I can see wife and/or kids in the car
    Anyone on a bike or motorcycle

I will answer the door.
    A man by himself can knock all day, I ain't gonna answer.

GONE ROPING and Arem like this.
  7. uncanny580

uncanny580 Senior Member

This is exactly what I did growing up! We lived on an acerage in the middle of nowhere and if I was home alone there was no hope in hell that I A) was opening the door and B) wanted to be seen!

I will answer the door to my house in the city because of the dog. And the general population of my neighborhood are terrified of dogs. Plus she gives it away with her barking that I am right effing there to answer it...

Arem likes this.
  8. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Odd this is something I”ve never heard or even thought of. I always answer the door if I hear it. We don’t have a door bell and accassionally if I’m downstairs & someone knocks I don’t always hear it. If they knock more than once, the dog will go running & start barking though. Typically by that point, but the time I get there they have left. Lol

Friends & family are like others - they just walk in, or at least I’m waiting for them upstairs knowing they are coming. :)

It’s odd if clients come to my house to drop something off, they always text when they pull in the driveway. I don’t ask, but that seems to be a common thing people do now. I’m ok with it - I can hear my phone better than you knocking if I’m downstairs......which is where I am the majority of my time.

Arem likes this.
  9. slc

slc Senior Member

I answer the door.

And I don't think refusing to answer the door is a millennial thing, it happens where ever Junior is given a gun and taught to run off anyone who shows up with 'papers.'

10. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Canadian. :D :kiss: