Donkey question

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mymarespet, Jun 10, 2018.

1. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

I don't really know of any forums devoted to long ears. I am in a FB group, a mule group, but it is a closed group and specific to NM. I will ask those folks if they know of any. Are the donks mini?

Yep donks tend to have very upright hooves. Oval and upright. The picture you posted still has too much hoof IMO, but it is hard to tell without seeing the sole.

ginster and mymarespet like this.
  2. mymarespet

mymarespet Senior Member

We havent measured them yet with my stick but doing a 'they up here on my leg' puts them at 48" which, from what I am reading means they are too tall for true minis but very small standards. lol Sooo cute!!

3. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Full Member

I have a miniature donk and he is a big puppy dog. Loves attention and negative reinforcement does not work with him. He is the first to come running to me in the pasture and if he knows I'm ignoring him he will roll and walk with me. If it's between the pasture with the horses or hanging on with me in the stalls while I clean, he's in with me because he chooses to.

Alsosusieq2 and mymarespet like this.
  4. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

I'd love to have some of the Brazilian Gaited Donkeys.. and/or those Pega Mules 85cfc261dce318f5f9771231186c77b5.jpg e806a17bf1d1a5f9c0fc6658e5073ad1.jpg

5. mymarespet

mymarespet Senior Member

Wow! that second donkey is stunning!!

peg4x4 likes this.
  6. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

That's one of the gaited Pega Mules,and they are stunning.. If you wish,there are some on Youtube

Alsosusieq2 and mymarespet like this.
  7. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

Not minis for sure, which is probably a good thing for someone with no experience with donks. I have experience and my Norm is very hard to not spoil rotten! The only reason I am insistent on manners wit him is I want to take him into hospitals and such so manners are going to be very important.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. mymarespet

mymarespet Senior Member

Peg, where did you get the hoof info from? The longears donkey rescue website seems to be down, I am on the FB page but it doesn't have articles.

9. mymarespet

mymarespet Senior Member

The formula for estimating a horses weight is a bit different for a mini horse, does anyone know a formula for a mini (almost mini) donkey?

10. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

It's up for me,don't know what might be wrong..