Donkey question

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mymarespet, Jun 10, 2018.

1. mymarespet

mymarespet Senior Member

A friend is acquiring a pair of donkeys and wants to learn about them. Could anyone recommend a forum with knowledgeable donkey people please.
    Also, an immediate question I made her concerned about, oops, do donkeys suffer from clover poisoning the same as horses?

I know there are some mule people on this forum maybe there is a donkey guru also. :)
    I have been trying to help her prepare but I know zip about donkeys, what areas are they the same and where are they different?

2. ginster

ginster Senior Member

@equinitis has two donks as well as mules and horses..

mymarespet likes this.
  3. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

Thanks @ginster. I am not familiar with clover but donkeys are desert animals and are very easily overfed. Mine get plain, unfertilized grass hay and suitable minerals and salt when they are not in the pasture with the rest of the herd. No grain at all, none, zero, zip, nada and no alfalfa, wheat hay or hay grazer. Is clover similar to alfalfa? It seems they would be closely related and, if that is so, no clover or very limited clover for donkeys. Females are even easier keepers than males.

They prefer brush to grass and will eat every shrub and tumble weed on the place if left to their own devices. They are extremely easy keepers and will get fat pads on hips, spine and shoulders as well as a huge cresty neck before you can blink. Those do not go away.....ever......once they are there so much care needs to be given to diet and exercise to avoid them in the first place. I like to see ribs, at least the last 2, on mine and it is a constant battle to keep food in front of them and not get them fat!

4. palogal

palogal Senior Member

They're totally different. Horses are flight, donkeys fight. Entirely different mentality. They aren't as fragile as horses, Ive never heard of one splicing, but I imagine they could. The big problem I've seen in donkeys is founder. They are notoriously easy keepers and get obese easily.

They're great for protecting livestock, will kick the hell out of a coyote

5. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

Or the family dog, the neighbors dog, the cat, the chickens, goats, calves, etc. They are only good guardians if they are raised to be good guardians, otherwise they can be a total menace to society! lol

I think my her is as hard on my barn cats as the coyotes are to be honest.

They do colic, not as easily/commonly as horses but they do colic and die from it. Founder is a great worry, I think they should be fed, especially if they are not working, much like a metabolic horse.

mymarespet, ginster and manesntails like this.
  6. palogal

palogal Senior Member

* I meant "Colicing" not "Splicing" lol.

mymarespet likes this.
  7. mymarespet

mymarespet Senior Member

Equinitis could you recommend a good site or two to learn more. I have heard they need to be trimmed differently than a horse, is this right?

8. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

"Little Longears Miniature Donkey Rescue" will give you great information. Yes,donkeys must be trimmed/fed and housed differently

mymarespet likes this.
  9. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

I thought the angled photo was right.. Nope! They say the hoof should be shaped like a tin can! 31347447_1569849359803638_641427333860818944_n.jpg 31347447_1569849359803638_641427333860818944_n.jpg

mymarespet likes this.
  10. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

There is an "old as the hills" donkey where I board Charm. He has been there so long no one knows how old he is. He gets loved on by all the lesson kids.

But Charm does NOT like his braying. Especially when she can see and hear him. She will trot/retreat back to her paddock if allowed. He is one of the few things that makes her snort and blow, lol.

Tbh he is a raggy alien looking beast. Not sure if he ever sheds out.

Larkspade and mymarespet like this.