Donkey Health

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Tracy70, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Tracy70

Tracy70 Registered

I recently took in three donkey's that ended up being rescue donkeys. From a seller in PA. She sold me three donkeys. They arrived with no health record, all came down with shipping fever.
    They all were put on antibiotics for ten days. Two of the donkey's were extremely malnourished. You could see their spines, hip bones and ribs protruding. One of them had long feet which my Farrier was able to take care of. I lost one donkey and the other one is on the fence. Vet did a complete blood count. Vet recommends a senior feed, free choice hay, water and a separate honey water bucket. This donkey remains pretty weak lays down, gets up, and back and forth. He is very stiff when up and weak but is able to shuffle slowly in his stall. My vet believes when the cold weather returned it may have pushed the donkey's over the edge. I have blankets on him and have a floor heater for my barn.
    I asked my vet if anemia may have set in due to nutritional deficiency. She does not believe so.
    My third donkey being the healthiest, is doing ok.
    My sick donkey is Lorenzo. They are miniature Sicilian donkey's. Donkey is eating hay, eating senior grain, drinking water, and has been pooping. He Just remains weak. I have spoken to two separate vets and they both suggest the above level of care. I have also been putting honey and water in a syringe throughout the day.

I've also reached out to a donkey rescue and they mentioned: I would have complete blood panels run on the donkeys. Check vitamin E and selenium levels. We have seen several cases of botulism in donkeys of late, so at least mention that to your vet to have in the back of his/her mind. I am not a vet!!! but, in my experience a much longer course of antibiotics is often needed. I know that depends on what the antibiotics are for and which drug is being used.

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

How old are these donkeys?
    If they are senior donkeys, this may just be that they are on their last winter. If they are not old, you do need a complete blood panel done.

No telling what they might have without testing for various debilitating diseases.

3. Tracy70

Tracy70 Registered

Thanks for your response. They are young between 4-6 years of age. I have been in communication with two vets. I did get a CBC done. I will be dropping off a stool sample tomorrow. Vet suggested to wait on deworming until they were stronger. The third of the donkeys seems to be fine. The other two were very neglected and underweight.

He is eating, drinking, pooping. Just very slow and stiff in his gate. They came when we had a warm snap and the temps dropped.

4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

If these donkeys were never wormed, you may have stomach issues from the stomach having been so scarred from the worms eating the actual stomach of the donkey, that they may not have enough stomach left that is normal and can still digest food.

Are you giving a pro biotic and have you had their teeth looked at?

5. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Full Member

Poor guys... Donkeys are so tough and lovable. I don't know how someone could do that to them.

6. Mule.girl

Mule.girl Senior Member

As the owner of a mammoth donkey, I have always been leary of the smaller breeds, purely preference on my part. They must have been in some really really bad conditions as normally donkeys get fat on air. I am always fielding donkey questions about how much grain, what kind of hay, etc. I was gonna guess theses were old donkeys till I seen your answer (I will say that donkeys teeth are harder to age then horses but not that much of a difference) If they are as bad off as it sounds they may have been in bad conditions so long that their little bodies are just not up to sustaining life much longer. I cant help but think they are having a hrd time probably digesting actual good meals as well. I also agree with Manes they probably have some bad stomach issues if never wormed and I do not know if you have wormed but that its self will pose health concerns if they have a lot of worms.
    **On a side note I hate when people buy these guys as companions, or worse yet livestock guardians and then do nothing for them health wise.
    You have a big heart to put as much effort and undoubtedly a decent amount of money towards trying to help these guys. Keep us posted please and good luck and love to you and these poor donks.

manesntails and ginster like this.
  7. slc

slc Senior Member

Work with the vet - I'm sure they will recover. They are tough! They definitely need teeth done, fecal counts, and blankets!

8. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

I would also consider any tick-borne illness. You never know. Fever, stiffness, and weakness could be lyme or the other tick illness I can never pronounce that starts with an A.

manesntails likes this.