Dogs not getting along

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Peanut Palomino, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Peanut Palomino

Peanut Palomino Senior Member

I'm staying with my mom temporarily and our dogs aren't getting along.

She has a 2 year old female poodle/****zu/yorkie mix (8lbs), and I have a 3 year old female 52lb lab mix.
    Her dog really wants to play, but mine doesn't. They were fine for a couple days, but are starting to clash. The little dog will chase the big dog and nip her back legs. Mine is getting fed up with that and last night pinned the little one and got very scary. I was right there, so I broke it up, and neither were any worse for wear. The little one peed, but didn't act any different to the big one after that. The big one mostly just ignores the little one but gets growly when the little one gets too pushy.
    I'm concerned that if the little one keeps being nippy, mine is going to hurt her.
    When both dogs are mellow, they sleep next to each other, walk around together, etc. They're fine when they're fine. Mine just isn't tolerating the little one's nippiness, and the little one isn't learning not to nip (she's bites at human ankles too).

In a week I'll be moving to another house with roommates, but they also have a small dog, so I'm sure that'll present it's own problems.

Suggestions?

20031993_10212513139200149_1151762677193827823_n.jpg

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. Peanut Palomino

*They're being fed separately.
    *They're being monitored together at all times.
    *If no one is home, Roxy is crated.
    *Neither dog is toy possessive.
    *Both get lots of walks and exercise.

3. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

Some pooches can't hang with obnoxious ankle biters. It sounds like your dog will do okay around dogs who respect boundaries. Best thing to do is monitor and make sure your dog is getting some time for some peace and quiet. My lab loves everything in the world but when tiny little yappers go after her she becomes much more cranky. Best of luck!

D_BaldStockings and secuono like this.
  4. D_BaldStockings

D_BaldStockings Senior Member

If little one won't learn from big one that nippy is NOT OK, and you can't stop little one from being nippy...

Big dog will continue to tell little one to stop being nippy. And little one may get hurt.

You have the option of
    'letting them work it out' which sometimes works and sometimes results in injury,
    separating them whenever little dog gets nippy
    separating them before little dog gets nippy.

Rather unfair to subject big dog to being nipped and expect her to put up with it.

Warning: when 2 females fight seriously, they often do nasty damage to each other.
    Especially as it is the smaller dog's territory your big dog is invading. It is quite a serious issue to them.

5. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I'd just keep them separated as much as possible. I know though. I'd be a little worried too. Labs aren't by nature aggressive, hope it holds true.

6. Peanut Palomino

They're fine as long as they don't get riled up. When the big one starts playing (on her own) is when the little one gets nippy.

Any suggestions on how to work with the little one? She's not my dog, but I have free rein to do whatever.

7. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

Honestly? If all else fails I communicate with them in dog language to get my point known and understood. Pick them up by the scruff of the neck til front feet are not touching the floor. Don't scramble brains, but shake and loudly say no. This will only work if she is submissive to humans. If she growls back at you then you have your hands full.

Larkspade likes this.
  8. Compadre

Compadre Senior Member

Keep watch on them for the week, prevent any fights, and hope that the dog at your new place is less of a turd nugget.

However, IME most dogs who get that way due to another dog's bad behavior don't usually try to do damage.

I have two smallish dogs who do this from time to time. One is more playful than the other and inevitably takes it too far eventually. So the mild mannered one finally snaps and chases the other one off with all the aggression of a hungry bear. Best I can tell she tries to be as scary as possible not because she intends to hurt her buddy, but so that she gets her point across the FIRST time.

9. Peanut Palomino

The dog at house #2 is very toy possessive. That one is a female Boston X Chi mix.

If it doesn't work out, I'll just have to get an apartment.

10. Peanut Palomino

She isn't getting along any better with the second dog.
    They did fine for a while, but ended up fighting over a tennis ball.
    Both dogs love their toys, both dogs love fetch. But both dogs cannot pay fetch with the same ball.

With toys out of the equation, they did fine.
    I'm aware that toys should not have been present at all during their first meeting, but it was not my house or my dog and they didn't listen to me.
    From this point further, toys will be put up. Anyone dealt with this before? Can toys be reintroduced later?