Dog with infected/split dewclaw

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dunbar, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Dunbar

Dunbar Senior Member+

My Golden Retriever has been off this week... he hasnt been his spunky self, and has refused to jump into the car like he usually does (instead, he's insisted I assist him, which is strange for him). I noticed him favoring his left front about an hour ago going up the stairs. This is a very active dog, so muscle strains are pretty common with him, so I made a mental note to myself to keep an eye on him.

And about a half hour ago he jumped onto my bed while I'm at my desk, which is right next to the bed, and held up his left front paw in a strange way and started licking his dewclaw. Upon further inspection it is split all the way to the skin and his "thumb" is red and tender to the touch.

Needless to say, I am waking up early tomorrow and bringing him in to the vet as soon as they open!

I'm assuming they can give him an antibiotic for a possible infection and extract the claw? Is that a simple procedure? What do you think they will do for him?

2. crfoxtrotters

crfoxtrotters Senior Member+

It can be very painful. We usually anesthetize, cut it off at skin level, cauterize if necessary and wrap.

3. Dunbar

Dunbar Senior Member+

Ah. Oh no. So he would probably be there overnight?

4. OldGreyMare

OldGreyMare Senior Member+

Really depends on the vet. My husky split and tore half her dew claw off last month so in the morning we took her to the vet. They took the claw off at skin level, smoothed it out, cleaned it well, put antibiotic cream on it, bandaged it, then put her on antibiotics as well and she came home a few hours later.

5. Dunbar

Dunbar Senior Member+

Okay. Lets hope for that outcome, OldGreyMare! Since my boy has the deepest hatred for the vet, I woudl hate for him to have to be there longer than he needs to be.

6. SouthernJumper

SouthernJumper Senior Member+

Some places would make him stay. Does he still have the other one? My old place of employment makes ANYTHING that goes under stay overnight (especially since they'll likely take the other one off too). My current employer sends most surgeries home that evening (we're talking sedate around 10 and leave around 4:30-5)

7. Dunbar

Dunbar Senior Member+

At first glance, you cannot notice that it is split/infected. I will try to take a pic with my phone so you guys can see it.

Southern- Yes, he still has the other one. Why would they have to take that one out too? In case this happens again?

8. SouthernJumper

SouthernJumper Senior Member+

They don't HAVE to. If it were me, I'd ask for the other one to be removed, and we encourage it.

Why? Well...it happened to this one. Prevention. We try to remove them if dogs are under for anything (neuter, dental, etc).

9. Dunbar

Dunbar Senior Member+

Oh, ok. I would love for this to not happen again. Ill definitely ask about it if he does indeed need it to be removed. The beast was sleeping so I got a pic. Not the best, but you can see how the split has seperated completely. I just glanced at it again and noticed that it looks like it chipped at first, because I dont know why it looks so short.

[​IMG]

10. crfoxtrotters

crfoxtrotters Senior Member+

No they go home the same day.