Dog licenses - but NO Cat licenses????

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Qtina, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Qtina

Qtina Senior Member

Does anyone else wonder why we have to get dog licenses and not cat licenses?

I understand that they want to make sure that dogs are vaccinated for rabies, but I do think that making me pay to get a license for my dog is just a money making opportunity for them. I also hate how they make the license expiration date at a time of the year when I really am not ready to get my dogs vaccinated yet - I think it should be a little later in the year so I have time to get my vaccinations done. Who gets their spring shots by February???

On to my point - Why don't cats have to have a license and proof of a rabies shot? It seems like everywhere I live - the neighbors have cats that live outside and insist on running all over my yard (and burying stuff - if you know what I mean). I don't want to have to worry about them getting rabies and biting my dogs or horses - or even us.

I checked the Michigan rabies report - and they do report that there have been cats that have been on the loose that were rabid.

But, no one makes cat owners accountable. They don't have to have a collar for their cat or keep them on a leash. They can be destructive and just as much of a nuisance as a dog - makes no sense to me.:confused:

2. theloneappy

theloneappy Banned

Cat's have to be licensed to in certain areas. I know we have had to license our cats before... We also have to keep proof of all the animal's rabies vaccinations here. Horses included.

3. sqshers

sqshers Senior Member+

Yup, cats are licensed here too. There was someone going door to door and asking about cats and fining people who didn't have them licensed...

4. Qtina

Qtina Senior Member

Do you know what "certain areas" they need to be licensed in?

I live in Michigan and have never heard of any type of regulations on cats at all.

5. Qtina

Qtina Senior Member

Are there any regulations about outdoor cats? Are they allowed to roam, or do the owners have to keep them on their property like you would a dog?

6. sqshers

sqshers Senior Member+

I don't know about what the regulations are, but outdoor cats roam the neighbourhoods without problems. Indoor cats are supposed to be licensed too, though

7. theloneappy

theloneappy Banned

Well, I've lived in So. Cal, CO and ND. Multiple places in each state. I don't remember which areas required what, I just know some required more then others and so on.

8. Qtina

Qtina Senior Member

At least some places have it right - but once again, Michigan is behind

What you guys are saying got me thinking maybe I was wrong - but I found an article that says that cats do not need to be licensed in the state of Michigan.

It seems to me that they should be - At least some parts of the country (and Canada apparently) agree with me that they should be licensed as well.

9. joce

joce Senior Member+

Here the dog licenses go to fund the county pound. the pound does nto deal with cats and cats are not required to have any licenses here. Might cut down on the number of cats and maybe people would alter then. Has nothing to do with yearly shots though. We have a separate rabies tag for that.

10. Rebec

Rebec Senior Member

In PA, cats are not licensed. We'd called the local animal control officer and he said that because there are so many feral cats, it would be impossible to have them all licensed etc.