Dog has sudden weakness of hind legs that then completely disappears (vet appointment has been made)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by slc, Nov 8, 2018.

1. HayleyS

HayleyS Senior Member

Do you use any heart worm preventative medicine at all? Or does your dog have any access to ivermectin?

2. slc

slc Senior Member

No access to ivermectin, and I use a heartworm preventative, but I've used the same one for at least several years on his dog, without any trouble. Last dose was end of August - dog's 1st episode of incoordination was in July, 2nd one in November.

3. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

What was the footing like when he had the episodes? My Chi has had several episodes, just like you described, on my tiled kitchen floor. She is fine going up and down the stairs, outside and on the carpet.

She is tiny, only about 5lbs, and is aging but the episodes seem to be very random. She is fine in the kitchen for several days then seems to lose control of her back legs and scrambles frantically for traction for what seems an eternity but is likely only a few seconds, then gets control and off she goes. She never yelps or acts in pain and never seems to have any after affects. I have seen her do this 4 or 5 times in the past 6 months or so, so not very frequent at all. She is still pretty active, plays fetch several times a day, goes up and down the stairs fine and does not seem to be in any pain.

I have not had her seen for this specific problem but she is being treated for age related COPD and is seen regularly. Her ability to breath has been more important to me than the occasional problem with her hind end.

I will be interested in what you learn since it sounds so similar to what my dog is doing.

slc and manesntails like this.
  4. slc

slc Senior Member

I'll let you know if the docs come up with anything definite Tuesday.

ginster likes this.
  5. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

Sorry I just got back to the forums. @slc yes, when a disk is bulging, it can cause very intermittent episodes, and the worse it gets, the more frequent the episodes will happen

ginster and slc like this.
  6. slc

slc Senior Member

Thank you.

7. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

Let me know how he does. If you would like some vet tech advice for your kiddo I would be more than happy to help!

LVMYQH likes this.
  8. HayleyS

HayleyS Senior Member

I hope you get good news from the vet, or at least answers. The reason I was asking about heart work medication, and ivermectin, is because a lot of herding breeds, especially white footed collies, can't take ivermectin, and the symptoms you described pretty much match up exactly with what can happen if they get any. Best of luck to you and your pup.

LVMYQH likes this.
  9. slc

slc Senior Member

Thanks.

10. LVMYQH

LVMYQH Senior Member

I hope they do radiographs and a CT.

From what you're describing, sounds like a disc or a tumor. I dont work at a specialty clinic, but at the ER and GP clinic I'm at, we've seen similar cases and it was a disc or a tumor.

Keep us updated....thoughts for your pup.

slc, ginster and turnnburnlynx like this.