Dog has sudden weakness of hind legs that then completely disappears (vet appointment has been made)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by slc, Nov 8, 2018 at 6:22 AM.

1. spec

spec Full Member

Doesn’t sound like EIC much to me, sounds more like a vertebral disc problem. No way of knowing until you get him examined by a vet. I would strictly limit his exercise and jumping on/off things for the time being.

slc likes this.
  2. slc

slc Senior Member

No, absolutely not, no indication of any injury to his back or hips. Something could have happened that I did not see. He sprained a front paw some weeks ago, but that healed gradually without incident and does not seem, at least at this point, to be related to this problem.

The vet said that for disc problems, an actual injury is not necessary. The discs simply deteriorate, starting around this age.

I had a collie that had back and hip problems just like what you describe. The symptoms worsened very steadily over time, and symptoms were always present from the start. I am, sadly, very familiar with what you describe from my other collie, Brady.

That's not the case here. The dog walks and moves, gets up and down, perfectly normally. There have been two of these episodes, six months apart, one in July, and one in November(now) and there is no residual effect in between those two episodes.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018 at 3:30 PM
    ginster likes this.
  3. slc

slc Senior Member

Thank you. We are already limiting his exercise and not allowing any jumping up and down.

spec likes this.
  4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

So, did you take him to get examined, or not?

5. slc

slc Senior Member

paval, post: 8226584, member: 45122"

Did he have any form of intense play or exercise just prior to the episode(s) you witnessed? Duration wouldn't matter... be it 5 minutes or 20 minutes. I wasn't quite sure reading your July account of that incident... you say he was laying down... I wasn't clear if you had seen he was laying down for awhile prior to the episode, or if he had been playing/running, then laid down.

Prior to this incident the dog had had an at-least-one-hour-long nap and that nap was not after any intense exercise. The same is the case with the July episode. He had a long nap and was very relaxed before both incidents happened. No unusual exercise prior to the nap. Generally my routine is to go out to the barn very early in the morning and feed the horses. I give them an hour and a half to eat before I open the stalls up, and the dog generally follows me to the barn, lies on some hay or his bed on the floor, then comes back to the house, has breakfast, goes out for a pee, and then takes a long nap on the couch with me while I work. Then it's back out to the barn, turn out, and meander back to the house.

Is your dog a purebred Collie... is there any chance in his lineage there could be another breed of dog mixed in??

There is absolutely no chance any other breed is mixed in. Both parents are kenneled and purebred, registered show dogs and both were shown 'in breed'. I saw him when he was born and with his mother and litter mates.

It almost sounds like EIC (Excercised Induced Collapse). You can probably fine lots of videos online showing EIC episodes. There is a test available for it for certain breeds (Labradors being one, so of course when I was breeding Labs and the test became available, it became the norm to test for it as part of most reputable breeders' usual pre-breeding health screening), but the condition is not limited to those breeds.

I've read a few studies on it and they all say that symptoms onset quite early in life, so that might not fit here. Thanks for the idea though.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018 at 3:29 PM
  6. slc

slc Senior Member

The earliest I could get an appointment is early Tuesday morning. That's with a neurology consult in the next city.

manesntails likes this.
  7. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Haven't seen that sort of thing in dogs, but we did have a cow that collapsed, I think a total of three times, for no reason that we saw. It was alarming, her back end just flopped like a rag doll, then she was fine.
    It never happened very often, then one day she fell and stayed down. We had the vet come put her down and do a post mortem, and he found a tumor in a funny place-- I can't remember the details, but it was attached to I think a kidney? And when she ate a lot and moved a certain way, it would press against her spine in such a way it would temporarily paralyze her back end.

My vet says we get all the weird ones, and I'm inclined to agree, so long story short while it isn't very likely your dog has a tumor located in such a strange place that it only ever presses against his spine some of the time, it does sound just like my cow that had that problem..

wpgrider, ginster and manesntails like this.
  8. HayleyS

HayleyS Senior Member

Do you give heart guard or any other heart wormer? It does sound very much like a seizure.

manesntails likes this.
  9. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

I dog sat for someone years ago that had a dog that had partial loss of function in the hind legs. It started randomly and gradually like you described and then eventually he lost most function in his hind legs for good. He used his front legs and his hind legs would just drag behind him. I believe it was some disc problem if I remember correctly.

10. slc

slc Senior Member

No. I didn't give the dog heartguard prior to the events.