Dog food help - I'm at my wit's end lol

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by VermilionStrife, May 14, 2018.

1. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I was feeding Merick and switched to Victor b/c it was a bit cheaper and supposed to be just as good, but I'm not 100% happy with it. My dog's breath smells TERRIBLE on the Victor. I am switching back to the Merick as soon as this stuff is gone. It's worth the money. I usually feed the salmon one, with the freeze dried pieces of meat in it.

VermilionStrife likes this.
  2. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

I got her to eat pumpkin mixed with some leftover rice and her poop is solid now. I'm going to have to take her to the vet again soon anyway, whenever she gets diarrhea she gets a UTI (e. coli). Poor thing. She's been fine on chicken and rice, it was just her normal dog food that triggered it this time. :faint: That's the first time her food has triggered the diarrhea. It's normally certain dog treats that set it off, and when it's the dog treats she usually gets bloody diarrhea, poor baby. She is feeling much better though, thank you all for your suggestions! :LOL:

Amarea likes this.
  3. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Is it an option to try raw feeding?
    With our first dog we started out like that.
    Had a good butcher close...(he was used to processed food though from his previous owner and he hated it...)

4. VermilionStrife

I don't think so, I live in a small town and buying the ingredients would be very expensive, not to mention time I don't really have right now to prepare it. Haha College student life, man. It cost me $30 just for one week of chicken and rice.

5. ginster

ginster Senior Member

If you find a butcher you can ask him for the stuff that is left over. Cow stomach, etc. ...
    I was a child back then but I don´t think my parents would have gone that route if it had been hideously expensive.

6. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

If you go to the butcher and get the left over cuts/bones/organs that they don't typically use, it's not expensive. What it is, is time consuming tho. This is why I won't go the raw route. Plus, when we go on trips I am not taking raw stuff with me. yuck. lol

ginster likes this.
  7. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

At that age it is likely not the food (unless you are feeding a crap diet like Beneful, Pedigree or Alpo) and more likely an underlying health issue. I would suggest probiotics, running some tests to check liver and kidney function. A fecal can't hurt as well.

8. VermilionStrife

Liver and kidneys are fine, tested about 45 days ago when I brought her in to treat her UTI. I definitely don't feed her junk dog food. Probiotics I gave when she was on antibiotics for the UTI (enrofloxacin and cephalexin, each for 1 week, 2 weeks total, so probiotics were given). All they had was the powdered kind at the time and she hated them, but I got her to eat them while on the abx. Probably wouldn't hurt to order some paste off amazon, I might look into that. She's going to be going back to the vet soon to check for another UTI. They don't usually want to take a stool sample.

They're suspecting she has IBS and are the ones who suggested the sensitive GI food. She's been on the new stuff since Thursday evening and so far only solid poo! Fingers crossed it stays that way.

9. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Hopefully the new diet works out IBS dog was on the radiated science diet Z until she got well enough to trial a few foods. It was over $100 for a 20lb bag...so I was pretty excited to find out that she could eat rabbit and duck without a problem. Rabbit is supposed to be the best for IBS and can be purchased in raw and canned. The duck is easier to get and you can get it in dry.... but you have to be very careful as many of the brands mix in chicken or turkey into the duck. I also found that the grain free dry with the peas was better than the dry with the potatoes.

For doggie treats instincts makes a apple rabbit biscuit, and there are several dehydrated rabbit treats.

Good luck ! It’s been about 5 years since my dog has had any issues or needed any meds for her IBS.

10. EventerNic6187

EventerNic6187 Senior Member

My dog was having food issues, and I switched her to a food called “I and love and you” simply sea recipe. They also have a limited ingredient fish and sweet potato recipe but I’ve found that the regular grain free, poultry free formula is plenty agreeable with my dog.

Before I switched her, her coat was dull, she had bad gas, anal gland issues and constant nasty ear infections. Since I removed chicken from her diet, all of those issues have gone away. I’ve read other reviews where people had the same good results too. It doesn’t give her nasty fish breath either. It’s kind of pricey but I’ve been really happy with it.

My dog’s brother has digestive issues, and was tried on hills ZD diet which is supposed to be for allergies/food sensitivities. It didn’t seem to help him at all.