Dog food help - I'm at my wit's end lol

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by VermilionStrife, May 14, 2018.

1. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

My poor dog (who's 14 and now has issues with her food apparently, the vet thinks) can't catch a break and has had diarrhea off and on for 2 weeks. Mostly off for the past week, since she's been on a boiled chicken and rice diet and that helped. She had solid poops yesterday, I worked in her normal dog food over several days and this morning was her first full on regular food feeding and she's back to the diarrhea. :poop::willynilly:

I called my vet, they gave me several suggestions, which I plan to implement, but among them was switching to a dog food for sensitive GI systems. She's been on Victor senior healthy weight grain free food and has to have grain free food because she gets really itchy and has diarrhea. Lol Any suggestions? I'm wary of science diet because I've heard from a few people it's not that great in quality. I don't mind paying for expensive food if it will help her with this issue. Please send help :help: my dog's poor bottom and my sanity will thank you!

2. Amarea

Amarea Senior Member

Try canned pumpkin. Mix it with her normal food and see if it helps. There are also other foods out there that have pumpkin in them if you end up wanting to switch foods. We’ve used it for years when we have to switch foods, etc

3. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

I have some pumpkin at home I was going to try feeding her. She's sort of picky so I'm uncertain if she will eat it or not. I'm going to try it though. I ordered some new food to try that is geared for sensitive digestion, since that was what my vet suggested.

4. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Definitely try the canned pumpkin. I would try the science diet ID and ask for a prescription of metronidazole (flagyl). Good luck and I hope your doggie feels better asap.

VermilionStrife likes this.
  5. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

i currently have my IBS dog on Rabbit Meat and Zignature Duck which is Duck and peas limited diet grain free.

6. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

7. Cynical25

Cynical25 Senior Member

Poor pup, I know that's rough :( We've had 5 years of trial & error with an extremely sensitive-stomached Catahoula. At it's worst, he's been on rounds of insanely expensive prescription Purina Pro-Plan GI and insanely expensive prescription Purina probiotics. We are currently on his 3rd bag of Nutrena Loyall Life Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Formula for dogs with food sensitivities, along with Tummy Works probiotics and he's doing really well! He simply can't handle the richness of the high quality brands I feed my other dogs but this Nutrena (which I consider middle of the road quality) is keeping him shiny, energetic, and most importantly not gassy nor crying from a visibly tremoring gut.

8. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

9. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Good luck @VermilionStrife on this. Maybe with a little luck and a few tries here, you'll hit on it and have success. I wonder what is causing this with so many animals? Makes you wonder about our environment tbh.

10. uncanny580

uncanny580 Senior Member

Cut out the chicken and see what happens - lots of dogs are sensitive to chicken and it will cause gut issues. We do boiled ground beef when our dog has an upset stomach. With pumpkin as well.

Our girl was on puppy food that was chicken based and she always had softer poops. As soon as we switched her to Lamb that quite.

Also, some pet stores will allow you to return bags of dog food (if they are more then half full) if your dog won't eat it etc.