Dog eats 1 lb of chicken jerky...do we need to take her to a vet?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ShowJumper23, Jun 19, 2011.

1. ShowJumper23

ShowJumper23 Senior Member+

So Dad and I meandered next door for our neighbor's grad party. We figured we would only be there for maybe 15-20 minutes, and Biscuit had just been walked so we didn't put her in the crate.

Came home maybe 25 minutes later to find she had managed to find the bag of chicken jerky, rip it open, and eat all of it. It was made for dogs, so its not like it was human food, but she still ate a pound of it.

Do we need to take her to the vet? We're obviously expecting an upset stomach, but not sure if its something serious enough to see the vet or not. Definitly learned our lesson with that one though.

2. Fire

Fire Senior Member

What kind of dog?

3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Yeah, how big is the dog? I would be afraid that since it's so dry, she might need to be oiled. That's going to be one tough load to empty.

4. Heavenly Jumper

Heavenly Jumper Senior Moderator Staff Member

Found this online -

AND

Still looking!

5. ShowJumper23

ShowJumper23 Senior Member+

She's a german shephard mix. About 55 pounds or so.

It wasn't a full pound because we had used up some of it, but it was definitly at least 3/4 full or so.

Thanks for the info HJ!

6. SouthernJumper

SouthernJumper Senior Member

If you had called my office I would tell you to take up food for 24 hours, put something yummy in the water (pedialyte or even a small amount of gatorade), and watch him/her.

Unless the dog is visably "sick" (and I would expect a little vomitting and/or diarrhea, as long as there's no blood) then you should be ok.

7. prairienights

prairienights Senior Member+

That would be my exact advice also. It won't hurt her to be hungry for a day, and with all that jerkey her system needs to digest already, no point in piling on more. And definitely yes on the yummy water. Make sure you offer regular water also though! But water with something tasty in it to encourage her to drink more than usual. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much unless she shows signs of being ill (I wouldn't surprised/worried if she "lost her lunch" though). Dogs have eaten much larger portions of much worse things. Unlike horses who are designed to eat steadily and constantly, dogs are able to have a period of fasting followed by large meals without too much issue.

8. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

My 45lb heeler mix ate a 1lb bag of peppered jerky once. He was fine. Very satisfied with himself but perfectly okay.

9. Theorist

Theorist Senior Member+

Agree. No food, but ample water and electrolites

10. Purpledomino

Purpledomino Senior Member+

If my friends little Boston Terrier can eat an entire cheese and meat tray unscathed, I'm pretty sure that your pup will be okay too, considering that the treats are also for dogs. Just take away all food for a day like the others have said, lots of water and keep an eye on the little glutten.
    The chicken jerkey may be a little rich from what she is used to, so watch out that she will need some more trips to relieve herself, but that should be the extent of what is considered normal.