Doesn't like men

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by palogal, Dec 16, 2017.

1. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Calypso has bird catcher spots and a horse at my barn also has them. She had a thread about them when she first rescued her.

Dona Worry likes this.
  2. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Yikes, he has some bad legs...poor guy.

Alsosusieq2 and manesntails like this.
  3. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Yeah, and unfortunately you are seeing his best front leg on this side. The other one is the club foot and he is even more crooked with it.

I did push her about getting the vet out to do his teeth soon via text last night, since he was tossing his head with her the day before that will maybe push it more, have the chiro work on him again, and maybe put him on Previcox for his body pain. The chiro really helped him the one time where the vet couldn't believe the change in him after it. She has talked about using my shoer. Her horse is now on a similar schedule to Foxy and my farrier might be willing to do him. He was at one point when she was going to trailer to him, but her work made her cancel.

ginster likes this.
  4. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

I think equines just prefer certain characteristics that are stronger in one gender of human than another. I had a pony when I was a kid who we always thought didn't like men. Turned out he didn't like most men because they always tried to bully him. Some men got along well with him and some women had trouble with him. It was all about being asked vs being told with him though.

Most of my equines are that way, prefer one gender to another. Some it is very noticeable and some I really have to look for it.

OP I know you said your husband is a horseman, but something in his posture, expression or action is driving the horse away or making catching a challenge or a game for him. Men are famous for strong eye contact and that can be a put off for an equine or a challenge. Facing square can run one off too.

IDK what to tell you except watch you husband try to catch the horse ans see what stands about him that is very different from when you catch the horse.

Breezah, ginster and PyroTekNik333 like this.
  5. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

I think men are also more likely to give off strong vibes. I've seen a few workers at the barns I have been at that give off this bad vibe that makes all the horses very nervous. One kid it was really bad when he was on drugs. Don't know what he took, but it made him hyper.

6. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

It really is this simple, I'm afraid. It doesn't happen overnight and you can't expect to be on a deadline while it's in the process. Horses don't work on deadlines. But it's the only way to really fix it and not just slap a band-aid on it.

I had a horse when I was a kid who was like this. We'd looked at him when he was up for sale but couldn't take him at that time. He was fine with my dad - we both walked up to him when he was loose in the field, picked up his feet, handled him. Fine.

When we heard a year later that the people who had taken him were getting rid of him we took him sight unseen. Totally different horse. Spooky, headshy, impossible to catch and hated men. All men. Dog only knows what those people did to him in a bare year. :flaming:

But we took him and he was a great horse. Never quite the easy guy he had been but he came around. For me. For my dad, it was another story and my dad didn't want to put in the time so he didn't fool with him at all. When we sold him, a couple we knew took him for the husband who was a horseman. And he took the time. Spent the time to approach, retreat, catch, groom, release. By the following summer, the horse was his through and through. Time and patience, which was exactly what it took for me to get him to come to me.

That guy had him until the horse was in his 30s and died of old age.

7. tucklove

tucklove Senior Member

Do you have a smaller area to work in? Sending your husband out to the pasture with a horse who wants nothing to do with him is frustrating for everyone, horse or human. If you had or could set up a smaller space, even in a stall, where your husband could quietly take the halter on and off to start with. I would be thinking of ways to break down each part: putting the halter on, the first touch, the approach from a few feet, the approach from distance, and maybe working backwards since it's not a dangerous horse, just an unsure one. I mean, if he can't walk to the stall door and have the horse turn and approach him to be haltered, he doesn't stand much of a chance in a pasture.
    Sorry if that's covered, I didn't read the whole thread.

manesntails likes this.
  8. palogal

palogal Senior Member

Well the time to address this is not now. He hurt a rear leg being a doofus in the mud. The wound has to be cleaned and stuff so of course he has no interest in allowing my husband to help me and I don't feel the need to be kicked trying to make a point. So it's me and him for a while until the wound heals.

9. QHriderKE

QHriderKE Senior Member

We have some horse that want absolutely nothing to do with some men and then are fine with others.

Also, in my experience, there's no better judge of character than a pen of 10 mares ! Haha I would like to say Im kidding but I've come to learn that if the majority of my 10 mares dislike a guy, there's probably a reason! :rofl:

10. palogal

palogal Senior Member

Oddly enough, BOTH of my mares will follow him around like puppies. My mares are obedient and cooperative with me, but they luuuuuuuuv him.