Doesn't like men

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by palogal, Dec 16, 2017.

1. palogal

palogal Senior Member

The draw back to owning a horse that someone else has had for a while.... he doesn't like men. My husband is a horse guy, so he knows what he's doing and the horse just won't have anything to do with him. I can catch him without any issue, ride etc and he's fine. For hubby he's not havin' it. He'll be respectful if I catch him and give him to hubby. He's not aggressive or nasty tempered, but I must catch him first. Ideas?

2. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I don't know, so if you find out, SHARE.

3. slc

slc Senior Member

Have him take over feeding.

4. palogal

palogal Senior Member

He already feeds every morning and we feed together at night.

5. gaitedboomer

gaitedboomer Senior Member

I have one that has always preferred men --- he only listens to me because he doesn't have a choice but horse savvy men get more out of him in half the time --- it's just who he is. He's 16.1H --- too bad The Onery cuss has been with me 21 of his 23 years or I'd offer a trade --- he is also a champagne-smooth Tennessee Walker --- your husband might not like that --- seems the younger men don't, until they've got a lot of trail miles under their belt, lollol.

6. palogal

palogal Senior Member

LOL. I think maybe my boy had some rough treatment at the hands of a man. I owned him when he was a baby, my ex sold him and I found him, bought him back 7 years later.

7. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

^This. My first pony did not like men at all. He chased my brother up a tree once. I took lessons on this pony, then my mother bought him for me when I was 10. The owners, good friends of my mom, got him at auction for their daughter who outgrew him....he became a lesson pony for me. He was VERY fearful with ropes anywhere near his butt...so as we all thought he came from an abusive situation at the hand of a man. They don't forget!

Larkspade likes this.
  8. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Foxy has issues where a man can't show him in western riding at a show. He's fine with one at home. I think it started with the trainer that started him on lead changes. That trainer didn't do anything with him in trail, so the other man trainer was able to show him in trail for me. Other friend has the same issue in the same class. What was ironic though is that she finally found a man that could show him in western riding, but he's gay too. Thought that was interesting.

9. palogal

palogal Senior Member

Well ya'll are no help lol. Although I appreciate the support and stories. :D I've kind of dismissed his behavior as shyness as he was relatively standoffish to everyone at first. I also kind of figured it was due to not a lot of handling in the last couple of years. From what the people said that I bought him back from, they hadn't really asked him for much in the last 2-3 years but the occasional ride. He's warmed up to me now, rumor has it he recognized me when he saw me, according to the people I was with. I guess I need to test my theory and see if it's just me or if it's really that he prefers women. Nobody's really tried to handle him but me and hubby and as you already know, he's not having hubby.

10. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

If he's a horseman, he needs to pull up his pants, pull out his horsemanship and go catch the horse.
    No matter the horse doesn't care for him, he needs to go draw the horse into him. Catch, brush, release, repeat.