Does your horse enjoy going to shows? Or just accept it?

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by ACinATX, May 9, 2018.

?

How does your horse like going to shows?

1. Loves it

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Likes it

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Accepts it

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  4. Dislikes it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

My horse gets a little stressed the first day, but seems to love seeing all the other horses and people. He's quite the ham. Haha

Alsosusieq2 and Arem like this.
  2. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

Frosty loves showing (and riding in general...she's been catching me in the pasture lately). She enjoys her full out naps, extra snuggle time with Mom, looking like the princess she is, and she seems to do her best work in the arena with judges watching--usually. :)

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

Sidney, my retired old timer, LOVED going to shows. He liked everything about it....getting a bath and being clipped beforehand, watching the 6 horse rig back up to the barn, he'd jog onto the trailer etc. He loved going places and seeing things.

Roger doesn't seem to mind either...he's just Mr. Chill where ever he is.

Baboo, kodemiester and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  4. slc

slc Senior Member

My old horse and the one I had before him both liked to go places. My old horse, we often went hacking at different parks. He hated trailering but loved arriving at a new place. The horse I had before him really liked going to shows, he would nicker to the other horses loading after him to try to get them to hurry up and get on, LOL. He seemed to know the routes to the shows and would start nickering and neighing about a mile from the show grounds. It really was funny because when we arrived he'd neigh and he had certain buddies who would answer him back, same horses a lot of the time, lol.

What's not to like? One class a day, short warmup, lots of grazing, and lots of extra feed.

I hope the same routine will mean Wuss Horse will like showing.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

You might want to go once after you've settled in to see if you do like it. You never know, you two might have a blast. ;)

6. Peanut Palomino

Peanut Palomino Senior Member

It depends entirely on the horse.

Even if they don't "like" it, shows can be great exposure and confidence builders. It's good for horses to see new things and conquer stressful situations. As long as you keep it a positive experience for the horse, even the spooky ones can grow to enjoy it.

kodemiester and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  7. horsegal98

horsegal98 Registered

Ours seem to like going, but get fed up if they are long and drawn out with lots of waiting for classes. Half day seems to work best for them, unless there is a long lunch for them to get untacked and have a good feed.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.