1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Does anyone use the impact gel saddle pad?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Pennymercantile, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Pennymercantile

Pennymercantile Senior Member

I splurged at Equifest this weekend and bought an impact gel saddle pad.

I was impressed w/the m&m that could not be broken w/a hammer! LOL My girls kept playing w/it and trying to break it. Then they even put their fingers underneath and hit it w/a hammer. Ahhhhhh no one got hurt.

I went ahead and bought the fancier one and have yet to put it on.

What are your thoughts on it ....good and bad.

Gayle

2. Shotgun93

Shotgun93 Senior Member+

I have one that my friend who owns a tack store gave me to try out. To be honest, I wasn't impressed.
    The pad started wear very quickly and I didn't like how the gel would bunch up in some areas and thin out in others. It never really went back to it's original shape, and since I use it on multiple horses with multiple saddles, I like a pad to conform to what's it being used with, not just one saddle and horse. Had I paid for it, I would have been upset.
    And, you don't want to leave it where it can freeze, which is an issue where I live.

3. morgangirl

morgangirl Senior Member

I heard the same things about them as Shotgun, that they bunch up in other areas when the gel spreads and also that they get very hot. I have heard that the memory foam ones are much better. But I have never had either.

4. Heavenly Jumper

Heavenly Jumper Senior Moderator Staff Member

Can you post a link to the pads you are talking about?

5. Pennymercantile

Pennymercantile Senior Member

Thanks.....

Wow...I hope I like it!

Here is a link to it.... Impact GelĀ® Equine Saddle Pads

I had thought of the SMX Air ride but I have heard bad things about that as well.

What is your favorite saddle pad?

Gayle

6. Heavenly Jumper

Heavenly Jumper Senior Moderator Staff Member

What is the pad that has like the honeycomb type stuff in there?

7. tucklove

tucklove Senior Member

I have two Air Rides with mixed results. For one of my horses, a much easier to fit horse, the pad is great. It's this, light, and it did eliminate his hot-spots. But for my other guy who is not at all easy to fit short of custom making him a saddle, it didn't work. I even got him the Delux/Sport one. It was just too thin to help the saddle I had fit him right. I use a Conture Fleece on him and it works great. Sorry about my spelling, I just got out of a midterm and my brain is fried. :S

8. PonyCrazyGal

PonyCrazyGal Senior Member+

I've never used one, but I think one of my friends had one for a while. I hope it works for you!

9. Shotgun93

Shotgun93 Senior Member+

I have the Classic Equine ESP pad - the memory foam kind. I love it. I have no complaints about, not one. And I use it all the time, with many horses and saddles, and it has never given me a problem. They aren't cheap but well worth the money in my opinion.

10. PeggySue

PeggySue Senior Member+

I LOVE MY SMX pads I have bought several since I got the first one..

I have a impact gel and have yet to use it.. I only paid $65 for it so I got a good deal if I don't like it I will put it on ebay and get my money back...