1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Does anyone know what colour my foal will be?

Discussion in 'Horse Colors / Genetics' started by BarrelRacer1303, Mar 20, 2017 at 3:36 PM.

1. BarrelRacer1303

BarrelRacer1303 Full Member

Alright guys! So my mare is due to foal any day know and I want to have an idea of what colour the baby will be. Here is the info:
    She is a classic chestnut mare with a red and white mane.
    Both her sire and dam are chestnuts
    The stud is a dark bay
    I don't know know his sire and dam colours.
    Post away!

2. Compadre

Compadre Senior Member

Chestnut is a "recessive" gene, so if your mare is chestnut, she carries only chestnut. Foal will be either bay, chestnut, or black depending on if the stallion carries black. (Iirc bays can carry a black base. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong). What breed is the horse?

3. BarrelRacer1303

They are both full quarter horses.
    The stud is Triple Your Treasure a world champion barrel racer, I also need name ideas so comment those too but I also have another thread under horse nanes

4. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

Chestnut, bay, or black. Can't say more as we don't know the agouti of either or the homogeneity of the sire.

Dam: ee ??
    Sire: E? A?

5. BarrelRacer1303

I am not sure, can someone please explain what those mean I know the mare is full chestnut and is red coloured

6. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

Chestnut is absence of a black modifier (E). Black is a dominant gene so it only takes one copy to be expressed. EE and Ee both express as black while ee is chestnut.
    Agouti is what makes a black into a bay. It Is also a dominant and only takes one copy. Agouti hides on chestnuts since there isn't any black colour to act on. Therefore we can't tell visually if a chestnut carries this gene or how many copies. So Ee Aa, EE Aa, Ee AA, and EE AA are all bay. An ee AA is still chestnut.

So visually, from a chestnut you know they have no black so they have to be ee. We can't tell if they have agouti. Both of her parents also are chestnut so no clues there.

Sire is bay so we know there is at least one copy of black(E?) And one copy of agouti (A?).

Punnit squares help us see the odds of inheritance.

DelP likes this.
  7. BarrelRacer1303

Yes the sire is very close to being black!

8. DelP

DelP Senior Member

A horses base color is either red (depicted as e) or black (depicted as E). Chestnut is recessive so that means the dam must have two copies of red. So the dam is ee.

The stud is black based (bay is black plus agouti) but it is dominant which means that he can have two copies of the black gene (EE) or he can have one black gene and one red (Ee). I looked on their website and they have a sorrel offspring of the stud listed for sale. So the stud should be Ee.

The foal options for base color is either black (Ee) or chestnut (ee), but now we need to talk about agouti.

Agouti is what makes a black horse bay and it is dominant. Agouti doesn't show on chestnuts so the mare may have the gene or not to pass on. The stud has at least one copy of agouti so that means there is a chance of bay.

So black, bay, or chestnut. If either the mare or the stud were homozygous (two copies of agouti). Then you would have no chance of black, but you would need genetic testing to know that.

froglander likes this.
  9. DelP

DelP Senior Member

Lol @Ziast beat me to it, but we at least know chestnut is a possibility

10. BarrelRacer1303

image.jpeg This is the stud: the big one of course