Does anyone feed Quiessence ?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Bakkir, Mar 2, 2019.

1. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

foxtrot likes this.
  2. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

I started out with Quiessence and swapped to Su-Per Mag Pro, after LoveTrail posted about it in fact :)

I am a big believer in the benefits of magnesium but Quiessence wasn't worth it for me. It WAS more convenient to feed by far, because you're dealing with nice flavored pellets versus a fine white powder you have to convince them to eat. But, I just add a few spoonfuls of unsweetened applesauce to make the powder stick and help mask the sour taste and my picky guy has no complaints.

I've definitely noticed a decrease in crestiness. And as a nice bonus, it's not why I feed it but my nervous guy is definitely less strung out when he's on magnesium.

LoveTrail, Baboo and DocsLglyBlonde like this.
  3. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I will have to see it the sell Mag Pro at my feed mill. They are big on the Herbs for Horses brand. Which of course I don't like, since I have seen too many negative reactions.

4. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

Instead of a deficiency, do you think an imbalance can be created by feeding a product high in calcium ie. alfalfa? I'm not sure how extra calcium is excreted in the horse, but extra magnesium is excreted through urine. Magnesium seems to help a lot of horses, and I am not sure why.

5. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Well, my horse is on an all alfalfa diet because he is allergic to the grass hay grown in Colorado.

6. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

I don't feed alfalfa. I tried it with Bakkir and he was high as a kite on it.

Charm does not need anything extra in the nutrition department. The vet is very happy with her, and so I am.

Just thought it might prevent the hay belly. Although this year I doubt there will be much grass in her turnout. They kept having to move the hay feeder farther back. It has been very wet and the tractor has torn up the ground pretty badly. Over half the field is ruined.

I am very much a less is more type person. She is doing great on the Purina Equilizer and good hay. But the horse mom in me is always thinking about adding something, lol.

7. Arem

Arem Senior Member

I feed Quiessence to Brandi. It’s in her smart pak with MSM. It’s one of the things I tried when I was fiddling with her supplements, and I felt she was less tender footed on it.

I can’t comment on weight because for a while I was trying to get her to pick up weight. She looks pretty good now. Although she is round in the belly.

4F652C87-DCB9-4D63-A299-E176FCE8507D.jpeg

Bakkir likes this.
  8. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Foxy lost bloat when I first put him on the magnesium. Only knew for sure based on how at first his belly sheet was barely able to fit and then just a few days later I had maybe three inches to spare.

9. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

I'm still on the fence about it. Next time I am at the feed store I will see if they have it or anything similar.