Does anyone feed Quiessence ?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Bakkir, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

As the title says, does anyone feed Quiessence? Did you see a big difference in weight or behavior?

I'm thinking ahead for spring. Last time Charm got a huge belly early on. I want to avoid that from happening this year. Currently weight wise she is about 100 - 150 lbs overweight. No crest or fat pockets, just a larger than ideal belly. The barn does introduce grass gradually over a 2 week period. But I still worry.

Also she seems to be always looking for something to spook at. She will startle at a dozen different things if she isn't paying attention to me. Eyes were checked and they are fine. She does get better when we are out on the trail. But that might be because I am so relaxed out there.

I thought this stuff might help take the edge off. But having seen arabs react badly to calming supplements, I'm a little leary to try it.

And you gotta just love the price difference. Just because "It's Canada!"

14 lb tub $35 US
    14 lb tub $144.95 CDN

2. Baboo

Baboo Senior Member

I don't know where you saw the US price for 14 lbs. at $35 - most of what I have seen is closer to $85 USD. Having said that, the price here is still much higher than south of the border. Wholesale cost in Canada is roughly the same as retail cost in the US, as it is for many horse related supplements and tack.
    I have used Quiessence for behavioral issues (irritability, tense, nervous) and it worked well and rapidly. I have also used it for PPID horses as a routine supplement, and although it is difficult to say if the supplement had a specific effect, the horses have done well over the long term. I would give it a go - my mare with behavioral issues responded quickly.

3. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

I used to use it but I switched to magRestore
    I found I have better results with it magRestore. I am not sure if you can get it in Canada tho.

4. XxLiveToRidexX

XxLiveToRidexX Senior Member

Ive used it with no results.

5. sherian

sherian Senior Member

have had a few clients put their chronic laminitis ponies use it and it does seem to help. Not cheap but easier to use a commercial product with instructions than to blend your own supp.

6. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

I've used it for the last four years on my mare. It reduced her fat deposits by quite a bit, and as an added bonus she seems much more level headed on it. There are other brands available that I wouldn't be opposed to using, but my local feed store carries Quiessence so it's convenient. I pay about $88 a bucket, but a bucket does last me quite a while. My mare is not picky, but she eats it no problem.

7. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

A magnesium supplement can only help if the problem is caused by magnesium deficiency.

There is no "calming supplement" that works. Why? Because all substances that can down regulate the nervous system in a mammal are drugs with substantial side effects that are only available with prescriptions. If it works, you need a prescription for it and you will find it on the anti doping lists. If it's prescription free, it's a scam.

8. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Smartpak came up at $35. I will most likely order it from there since it will be less than half the Canadian price.

9. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

I'm not looking to sedate her. She is not hard to handle or ride at all. She just startles (spooks on the spot) at things when she is not focused and working.

Just looking at some options that might help and saw this one. My feed store only has a few brands of supplements, so it can be hard just going off into on the internet.

10. Baboo

Baboo Senior Member

I think that's for the smaller tub, about 5 lbs. You should check on the shipping charge too, as that may change the picture. Kane Vet wholesales it - if your local tack shop deals with them, you could likely order it through them and avoid the shipping hassles and cost.