Does anyone else get really attached to the barn they board at?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by StarPattern, Jul 10, 2018.

1. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

I know it's just business in the end, but does anyone get really, really attached to the boarding barn they're at and the people there?

I've been at the same boarding barn for 5+ years now and I love it. However, I've recently moved (originally, I was less than 20 minutes from the barn) and the drive from my house to the barn is over an hour one way in good traffic and optimal weather. With gas prices creeping up to $1.40 CDN a liter and my truck being thirsty all the time, plus the fact I already spend a huge chunk of time commuting to work, I just can't seem to find the energy to see my horses as much as I used to. I went on the weekend, drove the hour and got to the barn... only for it to begin to rain. Luckily, it stopped raining pretty quickly, but if it didn't... I would have driven all that way, just to turn around and go home. My barn is an outdoor only facility and I'm such a wimp that I hate riding in bad weather.

So now I'm thinking of moving barns and have found one that's about 10 minutes from my house. It's a little more expensive - works out to an extra $90/month for both horses - but the place has a barn plus indoor and outdoor arena. I'm absolutely sick at the thought of leaving my current barn though - it's like a second family.

Am I the only one weird enough to have this kind of attachment?

On the plus side, my QH mare is *finally* riding sound again. She hurt her shoulder over a year ago and we finally worked her back up to easy trail rides at a walk/occasional trot. She was so excited to actually be on the trail.

2. slc

slc Senior Member

I was at one barn for many many years and got so I really loved the property.

3. Preppy_Ponies

Preppy_Ponies Senior Member

It can be really hard to leave a barn you’ve been at for a long time but sometimes it just has to happen. An hour commute each way to the barn would be too much for me. That’s just wasting time you could use in better ways. Every time I’ve changed barns I’ve stressed about leaving what I know and the friends I’ve made behind but at every new barn I’ve made more friends and been happy I made the move.

From the info you’ve given I’d opt to make the move not only is it closer but it sounds like it has a better variety of amenities. Plus it sounds like you’ll be spending more than the $90 difference in gas, so to me it’s even on the money end.

ginster likes this.
  4. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I get tht it is a tough decision..but if you break it down: you are wasting time. And that robs you the joy of seeing your horses.
    New facility sounds more up to your preferences anyhow.

5. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

Yes, it's quite natural to become very comfortable with the "barn culture" at a place after a period of time. People know you. You know people. You know all the horses. You likely have a good relationship with the barn management (or you wouldn't have stayed so long), etc. Change can be hard but I agree with ginster...at some point, you also have to be practical. While the move we made a few years ago wasn't purely for convenience...it was "time" for something different, especially for our daughter...the new place being only a mile and a half away, having a bunch of great and friendly people and a barn owner who is low-key, kind and thoughtful made the transition easier than I first thought. And the horses benefitted, too. Even though I don't own the horses anymore, I still stop by to see them with reasonable frequency and to chat with the BO and her husband who have also become friends.

In your situation, it really does make sense to get closer and I'm sure that if the place you are at now is as thoughtful as it seems, they will understand that the travel is what it is and will wish you well.

ginster likes this.
  6. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

I’ve been at my barn for 15 years. I moved once and never regretted anything in my horse ownership more. Moved back and was grateful there was an open stall. It’s a 50 min drive for me now and 100% worth it. There’s nothing I’ve found in the same radius of my home that I would risk it for again. No one takes care of horses like current BO!

7. palogal

palogal Senior Member

Sometimes adulting sucks. We all get attached to our routines but who's to say you won't love the new barn too?

8. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Nope. I do what's best for myself and my horse. I don't tend to get attached, but I don't like ppl that much lol

9. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

I went to the other barn today to check it out and it seems really nice. Smaller facility, less people, probably less of a family atmosphere, but only 10 minutes door to door.

I have a lot of thinking to do, but I know my current barn will be understanding of the drive and I know they won’t mind if I still hang out once in a while too. I definitely love all the people at the barn and that’s the hardest part of considering to leave.

But like someone said, it is a giant waste of time to do all that driving, especially going into winter.

ginster likes this.
  10. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

I spend a lot of time commuting back and forth. If I am going by bus it's 2.5 hrs each way. But there is nothing else in my area that even comes close to the land we get to ride through, the facilities and cost.