Does a good dose of Mud help hooves?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by MistyFawn666, Sep 25, 2005.

1. MistyFawn666

MistyFawn666 Senior Member

Buddy's hooves are a little dry most of the time. We had such dry weather this summer. :p Well it rained today and of course he was walking around outside in the mud. When he came in the barn and his feet dried off a bit and the mud fell off his hooves they looked like someone had put clear lacquer (sp?) on them! :eek2: So perhaps mud is good for something once in a while. :wink:

2. Bruce Wiley

Bruce Wiley Senior Member+

It good for horses that has sore soles and mud seen to help when they have heat in their feet.
    Pure mud has some good properties.
    I hope this helps.

3. steeledancer

steeledancer Senior Member+

Yes! Just think of horses in the wild... they don't get to drink out of well maintained water tubs and automatic waterers that don't get muddy, they wade into streams, lakes, ponds, etc, which tend to be muddy at the edges. Every day when they drink, wild horses get their feet wet [usually muddy]. For this purpose, I always let my water tubs run over, or, more often, dump them and rinse before I refill, so they get a muddy patch around the water tubs most every day. Well, this summer's been nothing but rain, though it dries quickly on this sand pile, I haven't needed to worry about hoof moisture too much!

4. mustangmari7

mustangmari7 Senior Member

My farrier always comments on how well conditioned my horses hooves are. We have a had a very dry summer. I dump my tanks daily and let them overflow. They have to go through the mud to get to the water. It works well and is alot cheaper than the commercial goop. You have to get the mud up to the pastern for it to be effective. That is where most of the moisture for the hoof is drawn from.

5. Blistering Winds

Blistering Winds Senior Member+

Things I've read, a good dose of mud won't hurt them here and there.

Too much moisture, and too much dry both do.

6. Shotgun93

Shotgun93 Senior Member+

I think that mud can help, as long as it's clean mud. We overflow our tanks once in a while too, just so they have to stand in mud to get to water.

7. Gracypug

Gracypug Banned

It's good and bad. Horses that are constantly in mud are very prone to bacteria and eveyrthing. Seeing as you said it was a dry summer it probably was good for his feet. But constant being wet and then drying out is really bad for the hoof.

Julia

8. sirius-dressage

sirius-dressage Senior Member

You do want to keep your horse's hooves conditioned when it gets dry. Out here in the desert there is no mud...so I use Rain Maker, which is the only hoof oil I've found actually works. I'd say it probably helps to gets some moisture into their hooves so they don't dry up.

9. mslwpk

mslwpk Senior Member+

I also think it could be good as long as it is clean [as clean as mud can be..lol] But also put moisturizer on it....

10. Friesiangirl

Friesiangirl Senior Member

gracie hooves are so so, but she stands in mud all the time LOL so i dunno