Do your barn doors face the north and south, or the east and west?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Stormyheart6160, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Stormyheart6160

Stormyheart6160 Senior Member+

My barn doors face the north and south. I could never figure out WHY anyone would build a barn with the doors that direction???? Which way do your barn doors face?

2. freedom32

freedom32 Senior Member+

Two of my doors face west, the other south--because thats where the hill isn't LOL

3. Fox Glove

Fox Glove Senior Member+

Ours are East and West, when the weather starts brewing they rattle every bit as hard as if the barn faced the other way.

Paula

4. SweetIron

SweetIron Senior Member+

Mine face the east :) They rattle like an old skeleton. But I place cinderblock bricks to lock them in place and that really minimizes things. Until I go to open the door, and forget that they're there, and the brick scrapes the metal.. argh!

5. kellidahorsegirl

kellidahorsegirl Senior Member+

Three doors on the south, one on the east.

6. Fox Glove

Fox Glove Senior Member+

Figures, That Kelli always has to be different :p

Her, and her fake cows,
    Paula

7. Peg D

Peg D Senior Member+

LOL Paula.
    Our barn (s)
    Red Dairy Barn... we have doors on all 4 sides. 2 on each end.... one that goes out to the paddock for the herd, the milkhouse door and then an extra that goes into the silage room.
    On the stable we HAD to have one that faces the north, but thats a huge overhead with a walkthrough in it. Same with the one that faces west....... then with the arena connecting, we also have a few big overhead doors in there too.
    We just live with it and use them very little in the winter. They are all sliding doors on rails, not really overheads.

8. haunani

haunani Senior Member+

No barn where I am, but our indoor has HUGE sliding doors that face North and East, so both, one, or neither can be opened for breezes/fresh air in the summer or closed off depending on wind direction in the winter.

9. QHGirl

QHGirl Senior Member+

Here most of our bad wind comes from the West. My house is facing the North, so my barn has to be built facing the north behind it. I will have doors on 3 of the 4 sides (north, west and east). During the winter they will be closed, but during the summer all will be open for a nice "breeze". I specifically planned out the barn to have the horse section on the East section of the barn, so that way it isn't as "cold" during the winter months.

10. 3WishesDun

3WishesDun Senior Member+

My barn doors face north and south. :)